General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Accord EX Coupe Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 06:35 PM
Unhappy 1990 Accord EX Coupe Won't Start

My 1990 Accord EX coupe died on me last week and will no longer start. Problems began many months ago with intermittent CEL and loss of acceleration. Acceleration problems increased over time and CEL was on more frequently. Checked the ECU and got code 43. Took to mechanic, he had it for 3 days and couldn't find an issue. When I picked it up it was running fine for several weeks, then CEL came back. This time with a loss of power (acceleration, brakes, and steering), electronics (lights, radio, etc.) fine. Continued until the car would shut off every other trip, then it cut out on me entirely and will not start back up. It will crank up every dozen or so attempts, but just shuts off again in a second or two.

Any Ideas?

I'm thinking: Main Relay, O2 Sensor, or Fule Injectors. I have no idea where O2 is located, many diagrams and suggestions online do not match my vehicle - pictures of engine compartment and Main Relay found here: Picasa Web Albums - Adam Overa - 1990 Honda Ac...

Old 07-29-2011, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

First step w/ no-start is to understand whether fuel or ignition is source of the problem, no matter what you might think is the problem.

1) Turn keyswitch to On. Does the Check Engine Light (CEL), Alt, and Oil light come on immediately. CEL should go off after 2-3 secs.

2) When keyswitch is turned Off to On, you should also hear a soft click from under the dash and fuel pump in fuel tank come on and run for 2-3 secs. Fuel pump will stop and CEL will go off at same time.

If above 2) checks show all lights are coming on correctly, and you hear the fuel pump run/cut-off, then fuel delivery is likely and ignition fault is likely.

If you're missing the Alt, Oil, and CEL coming on, then ignition switch assembly is likely faulty. Easy diy replacement. See DIY forum.

If ignition is indicated, suggest going to techautorepairs.com/ignition for guidance on diagnosing where igntion is failing.

good luck

Old 07-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Super Moderator

If you get to testing for spark, couple of easy checks -is there 12v to the blk/yel wire to the dist?

If so check for spark at the plug.

Old 07-30-2011, 03:59 PM

All three lights come on immediately, and the CEL does go off after a few seconds. I do hear the click from the relay, both in the 'on' position and another immediately upon trying to start the engine. I also hear a soft whir from somewhere else, not the driver-side dash, maybe passenger side or elsewhere, I guess that's the fuel pump.

If it was the spark plugs, wouldn't the car never turn over at all?

Old 07-30-2011, 05:19 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Sounds like eiether ignition failure...distributor, coil, ignitor...or, more likely the igniton key switch has failed. I would start by replacing the key switch...least expensive, and I'm sure it can't be too difficult of a job.

Last edited by bigpat; 07-30-2011 at 05:22 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator

Ignition and Starting circuts are different, so yes it can "spin the starter" without having spark to the plugs.

Have a volt meter and or timing light for testing the ign system.

Old 07-31-2011, 08:45 AM

If Alt and Check Engine Light come on w/ keyswitch normally, then ignition system likely has power as they are supplied by same wire from ignition switch assy. There could be a wire fault, but this is unlikely.

Most likely is ignitor or coil.

good luck

Old 07-31-2011, 11:03 AM

anyone know what code 43 is ? is that a fuel supply code. If it is maybe you should address this code first.

Old 07-31-2011, 12:03 PM

Code 43 is almost always O2 sensor fault. However this should not cause a no-start condition.

good luck

Old 07-31-2011, 01:47 PM

this is a 1990 are the trouble codes the same as ddec II

Quick Reply: 1990 Accord EX Coupe Won't Start