General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Accord EX VSS and O2 sensor(s)? and clanking

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:26 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1990 Accord EX VSS and O2 sensor(s)? and clanking

Ladies and gentlemen!
Well my poor car has done it again. The persistent code 41 remains for heated oxygen sensor (which I replaced to no avail.) Therefore my question is, do I have two heated oxygen sensors? The code lists I've viewed have called code 41 the primary headed oxygen sensor. The one I replaced was shortly before the catalytic converter on top of my exhaust line. I was under the impression that if I had two, that one would be before and one would be after the cat. Insights appreciated.
My new issue (and kind of why I'm worrying once again about the O2) is my speedometer and odometer are immobile and the CEL throws a new code 17. I'm under the impression that this is a VSS issue but am at a loss for how fix the problem. I'm unsure if I've even LOCATED it. I am hesitant to start pulling things apart since the place it seems to be is buried under a myriad of hoses and issues.
Maybe I'm just terrible at searching through the DIY section but I'm not finding any answers specified to my year and model. I'm a new self mechanic only 21 and very inexperienced so I like to understand the process before I start pullin out bolts and parts.

Oh and you may have a clue for me on this also, when my AC button is on and while driving I turn moderately (usually it takes a hard turn) as I accelerate out of the turn under the hood on the drivers side there is a clanking (I suspect one of the fans because if I rev it doesn't affect the speed of the clank.) So far I can't stop and look under the hood before the clanking stops in order to SEE it in action. If as it's clanking I push the AC button into the off position the noise stops! Wild.

Thanks for your patience and suggestions.

P.s.
I don't think they have any affect but fixes I've done lately have been:
Cleaning IACV
Tightening plunger on FITV
Oil change
Water Pump (included taking timing and balancing belts off)
New spark plugs
Oxygen sensor

Old 03-23-2010, 10:45 AM
Supper Moderator

You only have one o2 sensor its right before your flex pipe.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30876
Read that thread it's about the vss see if it helps.
Have you checked your fans to see if they move at all? Make sure all the brackets are not broken and such.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Update

g22 thanks for your help. I believe I found my VSS. It looks like a bit of a pain to dig into. It's beneath my air intake and several hoses. I think once I get the intake off it'll be more accessible. I'll be working on getting to it as soon as I'm done here.

As for my fans they both operate and I can watch them both with no noise. It's odd but I wonder if turning puts just enough pressure onto it to send the fan wobbling making contact with the surrounding bracketing and such. I can however see no signs of where it is hitting! Tricky since I can't watch it when it's actually making the noise.

Continued suggestions are great!

Old 03-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Super Moderator

Sometime when the engine's cold (to avoid the risk of the fans starting up without warning); grab the fan & try to move it fore & aft. Push/pull the fan shaft in/out from the motor. Then try pushing side-to-side (wobbling). It shouldn't move much. Does that allow the fan blades to hit the motor braces?

Old 03-24-2010, 05:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Still trying!

Gentlemen,
I took some photos of my car under the hood in hopes that you may be able to help me identify the VSS positively and help also identify the part it appears I will have to pull off to get to it. As I said I'm an amateur but I learn quick and I'm dedicated to making this work!
Image number one is a topside view. I was told my VSS is between my distributor (bottom) and my throttle Body (attached to the intake which is top) attached to my transmission case.
1990 Accord EX VSS and O2 sensor(s)? and clanking-distributor-intake.jpg
Image two is a view from the back side of my engine. The Yellow circle identifies the same bolt as viewed in image one circled also in yellow. The Red identifies what I THINK is my VSS. However it doesn't look the same as the VSS's I've scouted on Ebay and other sites.
1990 Accord EX VSS and O2 sensor(s)? and clanking-vss.jpg
Image three is the same as two but further out and another angle. The blue identifies the part that I'm unsure of and that I anticipate I'd need to remove to access what I'm THINKING is my VSS
1990 Accord EX VSS and O2 sensor(s)? and clanking-vss-other.jpg
Lastly this is an EBAY photo of a 1990 honda accord VSS

Jimblake I have looked into the fans it appears the drivers side fan significantly more so than the other side has fore and aft movement. I'll take it off this weekend to see if there is an easy tightening that can be done. Thanks.
Please folks I've got to get this VSS figured out. I appreciate your time.

Old 03-24-2010, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

The VSS is more towards the firewall.

See: http://www.techautorepairs.com/vss.html

Your O2 sensor problem is probably due to a problem with the wiring or a bad connection.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:31 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Vss and O2

PAhonda The VSS is more towards the firewall.

See: http://www.techautorepairs.com/vss.html

Your O2 sensor problem is probably due to a problem with the wiring or a bad connection.
The trouble with it being more towards the firewall is that as you can see in image three my transmission case doesn't get any closer to the firewall than this point at which I'm suspecting the VSS to be. Unless the VSS is more medial (like beneath my injection system.)

Is there a solution to bad wiring for the O2? I suppose I'd just need to follow the wiring wherever it leads.

Old 03-25-2010, 10:42 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Post Script

1990 Accord EX VSS and O2 sensor(s)? and clanking-vss-outed-trans.jpg
I'm unsure how the Transmission faces in the car. I think that understanding would help me identify the VSS much more easily. Is the inserted arrow pointing towards the front of my car for a mounted tranny?

Old 03-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Super Moderator

Yes, the black arrow in the left-side photo is pointing towards the front of the car. That photo is taken from roughly the point of view of the driver's seat.

I'm not quite sure but I think that photo is an automatic trans. The VSS is in a very similar location but the different details might be confusing?

Last edited by JimBlake; 03-25-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default super post script

1990 Accord EX VSS and O2 sensor(s)? and clanking-vss-anime.jpg

This looks more like the thing I suspect to be the VSS in my car. It's a pic taken from an online manual I downloaded. It is listed as a step after taking the cable stay and cables in a step by step to take out the transmission. The VSS looks much different from the ebay pic I posted. Also if it is indeed my VSS I'm seeing I don't think it COULD be like the one from ebay since there is another part above it and the plug looks like it might interfere.

I feel like such a newb... Hey fancy that I'm listed as one under my name. If the shoe fits wear it! Sorry for all the trouble I'm hoping I find it and kick myself because it's so easy.
Continued suggestions? comments? rebukes?

Thanks a ton.

Quick Reply: 1990 Accord EX VSS and O2 sensor(s)? and clanking