General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Honda Accord LX Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2016, 08:15 PM
Default 1990 Honda Accord LX Starting Issues

Hello i purchased a 1990 Honda Accord l 216mil for the first time this month and ran into a issue. When driving the vehicle home, i noticed a "S" light on the dashboard that was flashing didn't think much of it. When arriving to my destination i noticed a crack radiator that cause the engine-bay to smoke. Shortly after i took out the radiator , thermostat housing and thermostat & accidentally removed the distributor cap and spark wires off (im a new learner). After doing so i bought a new radiator , new hoses , clamps thermostat. After replacing i attempted the firing the order based off the internet i noticed it would not start. I then pulled out the spark plug wires and they were full of OIL!!! I disconnected spark plug wires, threw away spark plug wires, spark plugs and etc. I cleaned out the spark plug bay with paper-towels & took off the valve cover for precautions, swapping the gaskets & grommets. After replacing all i've installed new spark plug wires and spark plugs, & all the parts listed above and still no START. It sounds as if it wants to but wont can somebody help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-13-2016, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

Recheck the firing order. You can spin the engine over to TDC #1, use the timing marks, note where the dist rotor is pointing in relation to the terminal on the cap. Then 1-3-4-2, with 1 being the cyl on the belt end of the engine.

If that is correct, verify that you are getting a good spark at the plugs.

Old 11-13-2016, 12:05 PM

Ok im not sure if this is important but i didn't touch the timing on the Honda at all i just took off the distributor and rotor, installed back how they were and all so why would i need to do anything with the TDC? What else could it possibly be, i'm new to cars and it's becoming increasingly frustrating not finding a solution.

I've replaced just the Distributor cap, new rotor, new ignition coil, new spark plugs new spark plug wires and still no start. It has newer parts just no start.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.MOV (880.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 11-13-2016, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator

Did you completely remove the distributor, or did you just remove the plastic distributor cap?

Old 11-14-2016, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

I know you didn't mess with the timing, where U was going was to verify the firing order. Having the engine at TDC #1 allows you to see/note where the rotor is pointing in replation to the cap - thus that terminal on the cap is the number one wire.

Then following the rotation of the dist rotor you know where #3 wires goes, then #4 and finally #2 wire.

It sounded like you pulled them all of then "using the internet" put the wires back on in whatever order the "internet" told you. I just want to be sure you have the order correct.

"& accidentally removed the distributor cap and spark wires off (im a new learner). After doing so i bought a new radiator , new hoses , clamps thermostat. After replacing i attempted the firing the order based off the internet i noticed it would not start

Old 12-27-2016, 06:07 PM

Would this cause my car not to start? This water outlet/thermostat housing wiring snapped, would this cause my Honda not to start? What is this component and whats the name of this part?

Attached Thumbnails 1990 Honda Accord LX Starting Issues-img_6649_ink_li.jpg   1990 Honda Accord LX Starting Issues-img_6645_ink_li.jpg  
Old 12-27-2016, 11:45 PM
Super Moderator

That is one of the many ground connections for the wiring. That is the most important grounds, because it grounds the engine/transmission computer (among other items) and is called G101.

You'd need to replace the entire wire harness to replace that part. All you need is an eyelet (or a few) big enough for the the bolt to go through. You'd have to attach them to the end of the broken ground wires.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:52 AM

So to understand, So the part I need is a wiring harness? Is there a specific naming for this harness and G101 would cause a no start im assuming being it's a ground connection. This may be the culprit. It cranks but NO start.!! Is this a DIY job, I believe with wiring I am able to do it.

Old 12-28-2016, 09:59 AM

you need a new connector to the end of the broken ground wire,,

Old 12-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator

Just repair the wiring harness and attach the wires that are broken to that ground. You should be able to attach an eyelet to the broken wires and bolt them down.

Replacing the entire harness would take a ton of time and be expensive.

Quick Reply: 1990 Honda Accord LX Starting Issues