General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1990 Honda Accord NO spark

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 06:21 PM
Default 1990 Honda Accord NO spark

car started having a starting problem, It would start ruff kind of chugg along for a few seconds and the run fine, I drive it 200 miles a day as long as i didnt turn the car off it was fine. I would work my shift and the car would start ruff chugg along and run fine all the way home. changed out the coil in the distributor and ran and started fine for acouple weeks, now no spark so i changed out the spark module regulator still no spark new plugs and wires , no spark WHAT THE HELL IS WORNG WITH MY BABY, oh and she has 350K

Old 06-22-2012, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Do you have the old coil or ignitor? You can try putting that back in to see if you got a faulty part.

If you have a volt meter, check that the blk/yel wire going to the coil has 12V with the key in the II position.

One easy thing to do is to unbolt the ground on the thermostat housing. Clean the bolt and eyelet with a wire brush or sandpaper, then reattach.

Old 06-22-2012, 09:35 PM

yes the ground is clean and not sure about the ignitor being bad paid 100 for the one from auto zone and i made them replace a coil I got 3 month ago. do you know if the ignitor is the sme part that would be the cam shaft sensor read the HAynes manual it says the part controls eery thing, is there an ignition fuse thats not in the 2 fuse boxes ie under dash and hood

Old 06-22-2012, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

What kind of spark plugs and spark plug wires did you use? When were the distributor cap and distributor rotor last changed?

Did you check for 12V to the blk/yel wire going to the coil with the key in the II position?

When you first turn the key to the II position, does the check engine light turn on for about two seconds? Did the check engine light turn on when you were driving?

Also, go to the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. Open the link for checking engine codes. Post any codes that you find.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:24 PM

checked agian and I can't see a ground wire near the thermostat housing i must be looking in the wrong place, the housing is at the end of the top radiator hose right. Old coil was returned to auto zone because i thought the 2 month old one went bad. Ill check for voltage in the morning stuck at work till 1000 pm Thanks for the help Im sure Ill be back tomarrow afternoon let you know what happened.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:25 PM

PAhonda I used NGK and auto zone brand wires

Old 06-24-2012, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by rampcrawler
checked agian and I can't see a ground wire near the thermostat housing i must be looking in the wrong place, the housing is at the end of the top radiator hose right. Old coil was returned to auto zone because i thought the 2 month old one went bad. Ill check for voltage in the morning stuck at work till 1000 pm Thanks for the help Im sure Ill be back tomarrow afternoon let you know what happened.
Where the lower hose connects to the engine is where the ground is - and the t-stat if you ever need to change it.

Old 06-25-2012, 04:23 PM

ok poorman212 i see under the distributor where a ground wire should be conected but there is no wire in it. does it go to the bolt that holds the houseing on. and can i use a striped piece of 12g wire and set a ground to the bolt that holds on the thermastat housing

Old 06-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

Ground G101 is shown at this link. You need to find the ground wires that are suppose to be attached to the thermostat housing, as it used by the ECU and other sensors.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...d-location-jpg

I also attached a pic.

Attached Thumbnails 1990 Honda Accord NO spark-ground.jpg  
Old 06-25-2012, 07:08 PM

redbull1 i am no master mec but i work on alot of cars cause im always poor. the dio is incorrect my housing has no connection asin pick and your pick is backwards of my car. so I took a 14 gauge wire ran it off the ground on the bottom of the distrbutor to the ground on to of the valve cover and got some spark kept cranking it over and got the ruff start and then its fine its running great. but its done this before ill let you guys know what eles i do tomarrow if she starts

Quick Reply: 1990 Honda Accord NO spark