General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Honda Accord Radiator Fan

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2015, 09:19 PM
Default 1990 Honda Accord Radiator Fan

Should my radiator fan come on separately from my condenser fan when it reaches 189f to 199f. Then my radiator and condenser fan should kick on at the 217f to 232f correct?

Here how my fans work thy don't kick on until I get the engine at operating temperature And start driving the temp gauge always stays in the middle after warming it up

Old 08-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

With the ignition to ON or START, if the coolant temperature is above 194 degrees F at engine coolant temperature switch A (located on the thermostat housing – connected to the lower radiator hose), then the switch will close, which should turn on both cooling fans (radiator fan and A/C condenser fan).

With the car running, if the A/C is turned on, both cooling fans should run, regardless of the coolant temperature at the Switch A.

When you shut off the car and the coolant temperature is above 226 degrees F at the engine coolant temperature switch B (located on the housing connected to the upper radiator hose ), the radiator fan will run until the temperature drops at Switch B (which opens the switch) or up to ~ 15 minutes.

Both Switch A and B are normally open type of switches, and close when the coolant temperature is above the respective temperatures.

If you were to disconnect the 2P connector to the coolant temperature Switch A, and jump the connector with a piece of wire or small paper clip, then turn ignition to ON (II); both fans should run.