General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 Honda Accord suspected bad water pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 04:11 PM
Default 1990 Honda Accord suspected bad water pump

Does this sound like a bad water pump or blown head gasket? 1990 Accord w/ 225,000 miles. 3 days ago I noticed fluctuating idle from 1000 to 1700 rpm's. Had to drive it for 2 days like that. Checked IAC valve and it was normal. Also happened to have to change the oil as well so last night as I changed it I noticed coolant leaking out from where I believe the water pump is. Slow drip. Then noticed coolant reservoir was empty. Filled up reservoir to proper level then this morning I ran the Honda and could not get the idle problem to duplicate. Hooray! It's fixed! Then I noticed after about 20 mins of idling temp gauge pegged to H and small puddle of coolant had formed under water pump area of the motor (drivers side of engine near front tire). I suspect bad water pump but it's such a chore to change it I would like to be more certain. A parts guy that I know said may be blown head gasket but oil looks normal and exhaust is normal and other than the overheating car is running great. Also the idle problem has not come back since. Sorry this is so long but if there are any good ideas I'd love to hear them. I'm a DIY'er but not a mechanical genius unfortunately. Thanks

Old 09-06-2011, 12:58 PM

I just started having this exact problem with my 91' accord. It has 257,000 miles. I was beginning to think that that was life expectancy of the water pump. But a mechanic friend told me that it could be that the gromet came out of water pump around the metal hose that goes into engine at that location. I'm not sure and would like confirmation as well

Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like he's talking about the steel pipe across the back side of the engine block. Yes, that COULD be the leak. But it doesn't have to be. It's a good suggestion to check there for leakage, but don't just take his word & replace that. It's an awful lot of work wasted if it turns out NOT to be the location of your leak.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Talking Thanks J

Yes I saw that the car was leaking from there. My problem is that the auto part store says that the grommet that goes over the metal pipe only comes with new water pump. 179.99. I think that's bull but I have to do it I guess. Unless someone knows a better way. Thanks for all your input. It is appreciated. I am new to front wheel drive and Honda all in one. As my other ride is a Harley. And I've always had pu trucks.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Try a dealer - that pipe is sealed with O-rings at each end (#19 in the picture).

Not sure, but it might be easier to remove the opposite end. You unbolt the thermostat housing #9 but that means you'll need a couple more seals where that T-stat housing bolts to the head and to the intake manifold. I didn't find those seals, but think they're also like O-rings - so they won't cost a ton.

Probably a good excuse to put in a new T-stat too.

Old 09-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Thanks for your response I'm gonna start now

Old 10-24-2011, 05:25 PM

^^^ was your problem solved? Some feedback would be greatly appreciated

Old 10-26-2011, 02:39 PM
Default Hooray

Yes and yes. Problem solved. After a six pack and gumption building exercise I found that it was not my water pump but the connecting pipe that you see in the diagram someone posted. ( sorry, can't give credit cause I'm doing this from my phone but thank you)

The actual problem was where the connecting pipe connected from behind the water pump had become pitted and would not hold h2o. So I had went ahead and replaced both o-rings and the pipe.

Not a problem since.

A mechanic friend told me that some body prior to me (seeing as how I just got the car two months earlier had ran just water with no antifreeze and it most likely rusted ghouls around the fitament.
Total $ spent. Less than $60. Hope this helps

Old 10-26-2011, 10:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default running only water hmmmm

um Im changing my antifreeze before winter hits,
I had a lovely time september changing my rad.
only to have a factory clamp on a heater hose
give way and gush, Thanks chain fix it shop
for the new hose and a 20 year old clamp.
shrt story is I only had time to fill it full of water
i check the gauge every day . so far so good.

but i am going to go 50/50 tomorrow.

Old 10-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Super Moderator

Running straight water should be a temporary fix, because water doesn't prevent rust from building up in the system. The antifreeze has some anti-corrosive materials to prevent rust buildup and clogging the radiator. When you drain the system, maybe run some more water through the radiator to flush out any debris that may have built up.

Quick Reply: 1990 Honda Accord suspected bad water pump