General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1991 Accord - photochief

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Default 1991 Accord - photochief

Hey everyone, Came here to ask a question. My son bought a 1991 accord. The previous owner had installed a kill switch to the rear window defroster. The car will not start and a few things like the auto seat belts don't work. I had a car audio shop take out the kill switch and hook it back to the starter. I can get power to the fuse box under the hood but no power to the fuse box under the dash, using my circuit tester I can get power to the fuse box, but not the fuse box itself. Has anyone experienced this. I was told the car would need a whole new harness under the dash......i need a second opinion. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

Did the car just stop working, or did you buy it in not working?

Any other aftermarket wiring? That would be my first step, removing anything thats not factory.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:35 PM

Thank you, bought it working. Son went to a store, when he came out to start the car, nothing. The switch was connected to the rear window defroster. ...turn the key, press the defrost button, car would start. There is no power to their, the auto seat belts, auto windows. Lights and radio do work. We had the switch disconnected but still nothing.
I was told it would be 1500 for parts and almost that much for labor. Wondering if its worth fixing before we sell for parts. Thank you.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

I'll move this to the general tech help section, as the New Member Area is more for introductions instead of for help.

How and which wire harnesses are you testing, which is showing no power to the under-dash fuse/relay box? In the back of the under-dash fuse/relay box, there are 7 harness connectors; and 4 harness connectors in the front of the fuse/relay box.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM

Thank you for moving as I am new.
I have tested the fuse box under the hood and have power. Under the dash there is a clip of wires that clip into the fuse box. I have a hot wire to there but when I test the fuses with my circuit tester, there is no power to any fuse. A car audio shop that looked at it told me that I needed a new harness. That's why my question, wondering if this has been a problem with the accord or any other Honda car. They told me it is not worth fixing but the car is still in great shape and don't want to just give up on it yet. Thanks again.

And i'm getting power to the front of the fuse/relay box.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

I've attached an image of the dash fuse box. Where or which connector are you getting power at in front of the dash fuse box?

As I stated previously, there are connectors in the back and front of the fuse box. If there is no power at the dash fuses, I would be suspecting and checking for a harness connector not making a proper connection or for some wires burnt or cut.

Attached Thumbnails 1991 Accord - photochief-dash-fuse-box.jpg  
Old 04-16-2014, 03:30 PM

I need to get a photo of where I'm talking about. After looking at this diagram, I'm wondering if it's the rear window defrost relay switch. I'm at work and not near the car. Will try to get my son to get a photo for me.