General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 accord "Sport shift" problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Default nm and nc sensors check good!!

So I checked the NM and NC sensors today and they both ohm out at 500 ohms. They are within specs. Takes off ok slushes into 2nd gear but takes alot of messing around to get it to go into 3rd gear and then 4th if I'm lucky. Once in 3 gear if you mash the throttle it jumps out of gear and back to 2nd. I am thinking that the shift solenoids are week!!! Is that possible? Oh and it is worse when it is colder out. First thing this morning it went into reverse but had to wait 10 min before it would even think of going into first and then it would not stay in gear. I also changed the trans fluid today with honda fluid. I am going to pull the tcu tomorrow and look at the resistor and cap to see if they are ok. The previous owner replace it with a rebuilt one in July but i am going to look at it anyway. Am I on the right track? Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks again for the help.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

You can clear the codes from the ECU/TCU by pulling the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box. Start the car and allow it to run. If the same code 15 returns, you should troubleshoot that code.

The next step in the code 15 is to measure the resistance across the proper pins that go to the TCU. They should have the same reading. Those two pins should have infinite resistance to ground (open to ground).

The pins for the TCU you should measure are D19 (orn/blu) and D12 (wht/blu) pins. See page 9-27 on this link for the pin location on the TCU.

media.honda.co.uk/car/owner/media/manuals/accordManual/400/9-28.pdf

Old 01-09-2011, 05:06 PM

Okay I checked the pins that you told me to check. I checked them on the TCU when it was out of the car and they were closed. I checked the wires on the harness with the tcu unplugged still closed. I plugged it in and checked the pins.. still closed. This unit was sent to and rebuilt by auto computer exchange back in July when the previous owner owned it. I wanted to open it up and check the resistor and Cap but there is a one year warranty on it and there is tape on it that says if I open it it will void the warranty. What do the results of the test I did supposed to tell us?

Thanks again.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

I think you misunderstood my last post. You want to check the resistance on the wire harness that plugs into the TCU.

Those two wires are only connected to the sensor, so the resistance across those wires should give you the same reading you got before (500 ohms). Each wire should be open to ground on the TCU connector. You are checking the wiring to that sensor by this test.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM

Sorry for the confusion. I didn't understand that it was a test to check the wires from the switch to the tcu. I just went and tested them and got the same reading of 500ohms. What next? Thanks for the quick reply! This check was to check the nm sensor wires correct?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

That was for the nm sensor. Were both of those wires open to ground?

Old 01-09-2011, 06:27 PM

No both wires are closed.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for the questions, just want to make sure we are clear.

The wires should be closed to each other, which is what you said. If you put the + meter lead on one of the pins, and the - meter lead on a good ground, does each individual wire read open circuit? A good ground would be a metal bolt that has bare metal.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:36 PM

they are closed to each other and to ground as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator

They should be open to ground. Open to ground is infinite resistance. Closed is ~0 resistance.

Unplug the NM sensor and retest for open/closed to ground.

Quick Reply: 1991 accord "Sport shift" problem