General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Honda accord ex-r flooding problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2013, 12:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1991 Honda accord ex-r flooding problem

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction. My 1991 accord ex-r is flooding quite often now. It only happened once and awhile before but now it's becoming quite common. But if I let it sit long enough then it will fire-up again with no problems and run good too!

So why is my car continuing to flood all the time? Does the spark plugs need to be changed?

Thanks

Old 08-02-2013, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

About only reason for flooding w/ fuel injection is a leaking injector allowing fuel pressure to push fuel into intake manifold when engine is off. On a warm engine this amount of fuel will cause flooding.

You can verify leakage by connecting a fuel pressure gauge to fuel injection rail and checking fuel pressure when engine is cut off after running. If fuel pressure steadily declines from over 40 psi to zero in 1-2 minutes, perhaps slightly more, then an injector is likely leaking. A leaking fuel pressure regulator might also cause pressure leakdown, so pressure decline is not proof-positive. A leaking fuel pressure regulator would not cause flooding.

Which injector? That will be difficult to determine. They can't be removed easily to "sniff" out the culprit. Perhaps someone else has a suggestion.

I would be inclined to remove and replace them all if you confirm injector leaking. I saw a set of used injectors for < $30 and remanufactured for $60.

good luck.

Old 08-03-2013, 12:43 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks TH,

My engine is always cold when it first does this... But today is the first time it wont start even after waiting all day... I guess I will be taking car2go all week and the big blue limosine.

Old 08-03-2013, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If cold start problem, then flooding is unlikely the issue. Even leaking injector should not prevent a cold start (excess gas evaporates). More likely, the main fuel relay or fuel pump is preventing fuel pressure when no-start is presented.

good luck

Old 08-03-2013, 12:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks again TH,

I just tried it again this morning and still no go After the car turns over and over a hundred times my garage is left reeking of gas.

I'm gonna look in my car book after work for the main fuel relay and fuel pump. The fuel relay sounds like a very easy fix? And I've changed a fuel pump before no problem. This shouldn't be too hard a fix I'm hoping...

Now where is the closest car2go....

Old 08-03-2013, 01:09 PM
Super Moderator

Flooding is when you have too much gas put into the engine. The engine would not start because not enough air is in there. On a fuel injected engine, this can only happen from a leaking injector. This is more of a problem with older engines that have carburetors.

From your description, do not assume that this is a fuel problem. It sounds like you have no spark. The fuel smell is from the gas not getting ignited.

You really need to diagnose the problem before you start throwing parts at it.

If your spark plugs are old (more than 24K miles on them) replace them. Only use the NGK ZFR5F-11 spark plugs that most parts stores sell. They are ~$2 each.

Inspect the distributor cap and distributor rotor. If they are old or look worn, replace them. I suggest a cap and rotor from the dealership, others think the aftermarket ones are good. The brand is up to you.

There is also an important ground bolted to the thermostat housing. I would unbolt that ground, clean the bolt and eyelet with a wire brush or sandpaper. Then reattach the ground.

Another thing to do is to check for engine codes. In the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to checking engine codes that will help.

Post any codes you find on here, and let us know what you inspected/replaced as well.

Good luck.

Last edited by PAhonda; 08-04-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks so much PAhonda

I got a lot to go off of there and I'm gonna inspect the spark plugs tomorrow and I'm really hoping I don't find a bunch of oil soaked spark plugs...

Old 08-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Just as I feared I found oil soaked spark plugs. Is this the problem, Oil soaked spark plugs?
I'm not sure I could entertain a major engine overhaul to fix this problem... Could a novice, backyard mechanic handle a big job like this?
I have a basic garage and basic tools. Maybe it's time to find a new car.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:00 PM
Super Moderator

When you say "oil soaked" plugs....is this on the outside of the plugs (where the plug wire would be) or on the end of the plug (where it would be inside the cyl)?

Old 08-04-2013, 10:42 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi poorman,

I'm not sure if it only was on the wire side then leaked down onto the electrodes? But there was definitely alot of oil on three of the plugs when I pulled them out?

Are you saying theres a chance that my cars not a write off and that this problem might only just need some new spark plugs?

Is it ok if there is oil on the wire side (not electrode side)? Is it ok if I let oil drain down into the hole where I pulled out the spark plugs?

Quick Reply: 1991 Honda accord ex-r flooding problem