Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/)
-   General Tech Help (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/)
-   -   1991 Honda accord ex-r flooding problem (https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/forum/general-tech-help-7/1991-honda-accord-ex-r-flooding-problem-56058/)

PAhonda 08-04-2013 11:22 PM

You will be able to tell by looking at the end of the spark plug wires. Also, if the oil on the plug looked like motor oil and not some charred mess, then likely the oil is leaking from above the spark plugs.

Search oil leaking in the spark plug tubes. Really, you need to purchase a valve cover gasket kit (i recommend felpro gaskets). The four seals on top of the valve cover are relatively simple. There is a second set of seals (the lower seals) under the rocker assembly.

When doing the upper seals, pay attention to the face the seals are installed. On some models, you would be tempted to install them backwards.

Here is a good video on the lower seals.

crashdummie 08-05-2013 01:46 AM

Great video PA, I really enjoyed watching that one, he did a great job with it. I wonder what the chances are that I won't have to do the lower gaskets? Probably not good.

So I guess I will clean up the spark plug wires, throw some new spark plugs in and check them in a while to see how bad the oil builds up and how fast and try to see where the oil is coming from, whether it's the top, bottom or both gaskets.

crashdummie 08-05-2013 04:59 PM

My car is back on the road! Honda's are the best! That wasn't what I was saying 3 days ago tho:)

So here's what I did. I cleaned out the wires with brake clean and stuck a clean rag up the hole with a screwdriver which got them looking pretty good again. Then I sprayed just a little brake clean down the injector hole and cleaned them out too with a rag and screwdriver (not too far down just on the wall and lip where the spark plug sits)

Put the spark plug in the spark plug socket (the spark plugs were pre-coated with anti-sieze and NGK, $4.30 each). Hand tightened it in the hole then used a wrench to get it nice and snug, didn't use a torque wrench, still need to buy one.

Put the wires back on and fired it up. It didn't start the first time but did the second time and ran very rough for about 30 seconds then smoothened out abit better but still rough, after about 10 minutes of idling I took it for a spin and its perfect.

I checked the wires and there was no oil on them.

Cheers guys, thanks again. I now understand a little bit more about my engine:)

I was told by a friend that is probably my distributor that was causing this. But I don't understand how a distributor could allow oil to get in the spark plug chamber? But anyways I'm gonna check them again every week to see if oil is getting in there again. I never did check the distributor, how can I inspect the distributor?

JimBlake 08-06-2013 11:51 AM

I don't see how the distributor can cause that. It's the tube seals (part of the valvecover gasket set).

crashdummie 11-22-2013 11:44 PM

Ok, the update was the distributor. I changed it out with a distributor from the junkyard and it works perfect now for 3 months since the original problem.

Thanks again everyone for the help.