General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1991 Honda Accord EX Wagon Transmission Control Module Issue Sport Light On

Old 08-24-2012, 08:37 PM
Default 1991 Honda Accord EX Wagon Transmission Control Module Issue Sport Light On

Hi! This is my first time posting but have done a lot of browsing on here in the past few weeks. I've seen some threads similar to what my car is doing but nothing exact. I have a 1991 Honda Accord EX Wagon 2.2 Automatic. A month or so ago my Sport light came on and my transmission starting acting very strange. It will accelerate just fine but will not downshift. So, I am driving down the road at 50-60 mph and my RPMs are up around 3500-4000 when they are normally a lot less than that. At first it was very intermittent and would occasionally go away. After much research I found it could possibly be the TCM. My father in law works at NAPA and I had him get me what I thought was the correct (rebuilt) module. I put it in the car and it fixed the problem. Drove the car over a thousand miles on a road trip and had no problems at all. Then the next day, the Sport light came on but I had another problem. This time the car would hardly accelerate at all in D4(Drive). Had to drop it down in first or second to get any speed and then once I got it going, switch it back to D4. Also, not downshifting properly. This went on for a couple weeks. I then read on here that you can pull the Backup fuse under the hood and if the problem goes away, you have a bad TCM. I tried this and sure enough, the problem went away. After a couple days, the car was running just fine with no transmission issues. Today, it started doing the original thing again where it won't downshift, accelerates fine but the RPMs are really high. I tried pulling the backup fuse again to see if it would temporarily fix the problem but would not this time. I also started doing some research on the NAPA website and found out the the module I got may in fact be the wrong module. The original part number on mine, which is 28100-PX0-A03-M1 does not coincide with the one I got from Napa. Any ideas what could be wrong? Would my car even run if it had the incorrect TCM in it? I know I should probably take it a dealer or transmission person and have it diagnosed but I live very far from either of those types. I don't have my original module anymore either because I had to send it back to Napa as my core. Thanks so much! Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Does the check engine light turn on when driving?

Either way, go to the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum. Open the how to check engine codes link. You just have to count the S light flashes instead of the check engine light to get the transmission codes.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 PM

No, the check engine light is never on. I'm not a car guy by any means. The S light never flashes, it just stays on constantly. Never blinks.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:57 PM

Can you explain to me how to check the codes? How can I get it to flash so, I know? Thanks!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Here is a thread on how to check for codes. Search YouTube, because there are a few videos on there too.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...l-codes-35962/

Old 08-24-2012, 09:03 PM

Awesome! Will do. Thanks!

Old 08-25-2012, 07:42 AM

Where is the blue two pin connector on a 1991 Accord Wagon?

Old 08-25-2012, 07:48 AM

Found it. Nevermind. Will post my code when I get it.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:23 AM

Ok, so I stuck the paper clip in there and what happened on the dash is the Check Engine Light stays on and the S light does not flash at all. When the paper clip is NOT in the connector, the Check Engine Light goes off and the S light still does not flash a code. Am I doing it right and what does this mean? I am leaving the paper clip in the connector while I turn the key to the II position.

Last edited by charlieadams; 08-25-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:07 PM

Anyone know what this could be? Have tried several times and cannot get the S light to
Flash but the check engine light stays on when it normally does not in the II position. Thanks!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1991 Honda Accord EX Wagon Transmission Control Module Issue Sport Light On