General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1991 Honda Accord No Start

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Default 1991 Honda Accord No Start

Hello I am having trouble starting my 1991 Honda accord.

It was running fine, then started to cut out abruptly and would restart after a short time. Common problem.

So I replaced the distributor, plugs, wires, Main Relay and ECU.

It would start before I replaced everything and now it will just turn over but wont actually fire up.

I have checked the spark on all four cylinders, I have checked the ICM, Injectors, Main Relay, Fuel Pump, and all the fuses and everything checks out.

The fuel rail is getting fuel (I took an o-ring off an injector and fuel was squirting out when I turned the key to II position).

I am not sure what else to check. The battery is fine, the ground by the thermostat is good and cleaned. I am completely lost and have no idea of what else to check. Someone mentioned checking the injector resistor pack but I am not sure where that is or what it controls and if that would lead to the issue I am having.

Any help or suggestions would be great.

Jeremiah

Last edited by JRG446; 12-12-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:30 AM

I forgot to mention, there were no codes flashing when I jumped the OBDI plug.

It just stayed solid. But the CEL light turns off after two seconds like normal if the plug isnt jumped.

Last edited by JRG446; 12-12-2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:57 AM
Super Moderator

Is is possible you got the firing order out of sync?

Old 12-14-2013, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator

Did you replace all the items at once? Or tell us what item was replaced when the car would not start anymore.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:26 PM

I replaced the icm, cap, rotor and coil along with the plugs and wires. It fired right up after that.

Let it warm up about 10 mins and it just died. Wouldnt fire back up. So I replaced the Main Relay, still wont fire up.

Fuel pump is working, checked the injectors, replaced the injector resistor pack.

Got a good ECU to see if that made a difference and still nothing.

I have no clue what else to check.

Old 12-14-2013, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator

How are you testing for spark?

Old 12-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If you take the boot off the throttle body and pour some fuel in while holding the throttle open and it starts and runs for a short while you are down to an issue with the fuel system electric or mechanical.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:30 AM

did you get your ignition control module checked? you might want to look into that.
auto zone will check it for you if you take it off. its right behind the distributer cap.
hope this helps

Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
How are you testing for spark?
I grounded the plug and I used a screw driver as well. Its getting good spark and I put new plugs in.

So Sunday I tried a new injector resistor pack thinking maybe that was it, didnt help.

I think I am going to have it diagnosed by a local Honda guy that I have dealt with in the past. He is fair and honest and I dont mind doing the work, I just hate chasing a never ending problem and throwing money at a car for no reason.

Old 12-16-2013, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by justin kase
did you get your ignition control module checked? you might want to look into that.
auto zone will check it for you if you take it off. its right behind the distributer cap.
hope this helps
Autozone cant test it for some reason. I have bought a new one, and had it swapped out three times thinking I had a bad ICM. No luck.

Quick Reply: 1991 Honda Accord No Start