General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1992 Accord long brake pedal

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 09:27 PM
Default 1992 Accord long brake pedal

1992 Accord LX 2.2 AT 275,000 miles on odometer
I am new to Honda & Forums so have mercy if I am doing something wrong.

I have read so many postings about no brakes, spongy brakes, fading brakes and pedals that go to the floor but have not found my problem or a fix that might work.

I refer to this problem as a long brake pedal. What I mean is I get no pedal pressure until I press the pedal what feels like almost to the floor (within inches). I have driven and raced many different cars and have never experienced this problem. The pedal seems to have the proper free play and the E brake is fully engaged at 5 clicks (can pull hard to 7 clicks). I am used to starting to feel pressure shortly after freeplay with a very linear feel to the pedal until brakes fully lock. Although it is an automatic I could never heel and toe with brakes with this much movement before feeling any pressure. I received this problem from previous owner and after replacing front and rear brakes and MC and bleeding all fluid including bench bleeding MC the problem still exists. I have read that this is an inherent problem with this year and model but there must be a fix because it does not feel comfortable at all. I know you should never have to adjust the push rod but I feel that is my next move but am afraid that as they build heat the brakes may tend to drag. If anybody knows about a fix for this problem I would really appreciate any solutions as it is not a good feeling for a spirited driver like myself and I would not feel comfortable passing this problem on to anyone else.

I really like the engineering and simplicity of this older Honda but have only driven a few blocks at a time because of this brake issue.

Thanx in advance for any and all help. Peace

Old 10-05-2018, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Your car probably doesn't have ABS, correct?? (If it does, there's other things to check)

You say you've bled the brakes. But sometimes I've had a low pedal like that and it has been air in the lines. I've bled the brakes and had nice clean fluid come out of the bleeders so I think "I'm done". But the pedal is still low. Bleed more & more, and eventually a couple bubbles finally come out and all is good.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:40 AM

Thanx Jim for the response. I have driven, raced and worked on cars for years and this is like nothing I have encountered. I have bled the system several times and bench bled MC twice. I am wondering if there is more than 1 MC for my 1992 Accord. I have searched so many forums before posting this. My best guess is either a different MC or adjust the push rod which I was going to try today. The brakes are not spongy like a typical bleed issue but instead I need to push the pedal about 3" before I get any feedback and then I get the proper feel. I had read this was a common problem but never heard of a sure fire fix. Wishful thinking on my part. Thanx for any and all help. Correct on NO ABS.

Old 10-05-2018, 08:46 AM

I really do not know what I am going to do with this car but if I keep it (I would like to) I feel I need a simple H motor swap. Is there a brake upgrade you could suggest that might solve this problem while improving my braking for spirited driving?

Old 10-05-2018, 09:32 AM

This really feels like a push rod adjustment or wrong MC. If my son pops over this weekend I will have him help me run another pint of fluid though the lines just to be sure. I have been bleeding: Left rear--Right front--Right rear--Left front. Is there a different or better rotation for bleeding? I have read so much info before posting this question but have not found a solution. Best hypothesis is wrong MC or push rod way out of adjustment. I don't want to throw more $ at it unless it solves the problem. I want it to be $ well spent. I appreciate any help. Thanx

Last edited by carguy413; 10-05-2018 at 10:27 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Push rod adjustment sounds like a good thing to check. The MC has a vent that closes when the piston reaches a certain position.

IIRC, there's 2 different parts to the pushrod length. The part under the dashboard is the first part of the pushrod, from the pedal to the vacuum booster. The 2nd part is between the booster and the MC, which you have to worry about when replacing the MC. But I had a 1998, so that might have been different from 1992...

Old 10-05-2018, 10:15 AM

Thanx Jim. The pedal seems like it is at the right height (I will measure before any adjustment) so I was going to pull the MC again (about the 4th time) and take a better measurement. I was wondering if either adjustment changes the ratio or if is 1 to 1 meaning if I move either push rod say 1/4" will that or should that actually make a 1/4" difference or maybe feel like a 3/4" adjustment? I hope I asked that right. I think faster than I type. LOL I was going to start with the booster to MC first and take measurements and make slight adjustment and then do the pedal to booster and see either of that helps. Thanx for taking your time to help me out. I know Moderating a forum is a real labor of love and I myself want to thank you for it. I should get to know this car pretty well after solving all the problems and hope to pay it forward someday. PS--A quick side note, with 275,000 miles on odometer and not knowing history of car I was contemplating an engine swap to maybe an H motor. Can you suggest the best swap for a spirited driver like myself without major mods or fabrication? and what auto. tranny would get best performance? In other words what engine tranny combo would you or anyone else suggest for a daily driven 1992 Accord LX w/auto for upgraded performance. I am just starting to learn about Honda and am pleased with the engineering and simplicity so far. Thanx in advance.

Last edited by carguy413; 10-05-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:40 AM

I thought I read somewhere that a different trim level might use a different MC or booster or a different combo. of both. Does anybody know if there is any truth to that or am I just grasping at straws hoping for a quick fix? Peace

Last edited by carguy413; 10-05-2018 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-05-2018, 12:12 PM
Super Moderator

I looked up some parts on Majestic's site.

4-door LX AT
4-door DX AT
2-door LX AT
MC = 46100-SM4-A04
VB = 46400-SM4-003

4-door EX AT
2-door EX AT
5-door EX AT
MC = 46100-SM4-G54
VB = 46400-SM4-951

5-door LX AT
MC = 46100-SM4-A04
VB = 46400-SM5-A01

With all of this, I really don't know what difference there is between these parts.

Old 10-05-2018, 01:02 PM

Thanx so much Jim. I will take this info. you supplied and try to find out what the difference might be. Like I said I looked for a lot of info. before I even thought to take anyone's time and ask the question. I am trying to not bother anyone and you in particular but I just tried to find Majestic and could not find anything. Is Majestic a web site or a parts house or some sort of Honda info. site? I came up with a Marketing Search Engine and an Athletic Supply House among other things but nothing to do with Hondas or even automobiles in general. I hate to bother you but if you could point me in the general direction of Majestic or any other starting point I will take it from there. I think I am a pretty quick study and as a newbie to Honda and forums in general I just want to thank you for helping me by sharing your time and knowledge as I am sure you have other things to do with your time and energy. Have a Great Day !! Much appreciation. :-) Peace

Quick Reply: 1992 Accord long brake pedal