General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 accord lx not passing smog/ aircare

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 08:33 PM
Default 1992 accord lx not passing smog/ aircare

hi all... i need some help on where to start to tuneup my 1992 accord lx... i curretly tried to pass aircare and couldnt.. i heard there are a few tips and tricks on fixing them up to pass through easily...
these are the readings..

Hydrocarbons (HC) allowable g/km- 0.5- my reading was 1.1641 . ...............failed
Carbon monoxide (CO) allowable g/km - 9.32- my reading was 2.0879.............passed
Oxides of Nitrogen (NOx) allowable g/km- 1.24- my reading was 1.4275......... failed

i should also mention that when the car is in idle, the motor revs up and down constantly, doesnt want to stay at one rpm range.

let me know what are the first things and best things to replace to solve this problem and to pass aircare.

thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 1992 accord lx not passing smog/ aircare

High NOX can be caused by plugged EGR ports. Google T2T013.pdf and the first hit will be a set of directions to clean the egr ports in the manifold.
That might also fix the HC as well

The idle moving up and down is from excess air getting into the intake. The FITV is a likely culprit along with damaged vacuum hoses in the car. Inspect the vacuum hoses for cracks and possible leaks.

Here is a post for a 92 accord FITV. https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_62823/tm.htm

Old 04-21-2008, 11:04 PM

thank-you PAHONDA!

i have cleaned out the FITV and now its alot better, doesnt rev up and down like before.. still does alittle but not as much as before. . i will be cleaning out the EGR ports in the next couple of days and taking it to aircare..

Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 PM

quick question... what were the 2 sensors that "alariskirein" was talking about in his thread? where are they situated? wouldnt mind cleaning mine while im at the whole procedure of cleaning up the engine components

Old 04-25-2008, 04:25 PM

ok i noticed that when starting the accord in the morning or when its cold... i have to give it throttle until it heats up or else it stauls.. all i did was take apart that FITV, cleaned the inside, sprayed wd40 and blasted it out with high pressure air...

Old 04-25-2008, 05:00 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to clean the throttle body and throttle plate (both sides) with throttle body cleaner and an old toothbrush. Wipe out the dissolved sludge with a shop towel.

There is also a metal screen on the IAC that can get clogged with carbon and inhibit air flow. That is the second "sensor" that was in that other link #15. It is on back of the throttle body. Clean out that with throttle body cleaner (not carb cleaner). It has coolant lines connected to it, but you should be able to twist it to spray out all of the carbon that can build up in there.

Old 04-29-2008, 11:28 PM

ok so here is what ive done.. i took apart the whole intake manifold and thoroughly cleaned everything out.. all the sensors and all the parts that are on the trottle body and inside the body and inside the manifold and carbon build-up and was fairly messy. I put it all back together today and seems like its running all well except i still get a check engine light.. its not on when i start the car but only comes on after 1km of driving... any possible suggestions? i havent taken it to aircare yet.. i want to resolve all issues before taking it there..
is it possible to check if all the sensors or parts are working properly on the throttle body.. or how to check the O2 sensor if its good???

Old 04-29-2008, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Since the check engine light is on, you should get the code stored in the ECU. Follow the instructions in how to check CEL in this link and post the code. Just use a thin paper clip to short that service connector.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/

Old 05-02-2008, 07:05 PM

HI PaHonda
ive tried to do that CEL code retrieval but my check engine light is not blinking when i short out those 2 wires... the CEL comes on after like 1km of driving not right when i turn the key or start the car like on my 98 accord

Old 05-03-2008, 08:13 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest checking your work closely. I suspect you have left a connector loose, EGR, ICV, perhaps.

I would also reset the ECU by pulling the BackUp fuse for 20 secs. I've seen some problems resolved w/ a simple reset.

You might try driving w/ service check connector shorted to see if code will flash the CEL when it is set. I thought codes were always held after being set.

good luck

Quick Reply: 1992 accord lx not passing smog/ aircare