General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Accord stuck in Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 05:16 PM
Default 1992 Accord stuck in Park

Sorry if this is a tired subject; I searched and found some minor fixes, but those don't apear to apply to me this time.

1992 Accord EX with auto trans 183,000 miles. First when my wife drove the car from the house the trans was in 4th gear and would not shift. If you put it in 1st or 2nd, it will drive in 2nd; 3rd or 4th, it will drive in 4th. The next time she parked the car and put it in park it was stuck in park so now we have two issues. Are these related? I checked the fuse and it is okay and the brake lights work. The trans oil was a bit low so I added some, but of course this doesn't fix the problem.

Any help?

Thanks,
Cummins

Old 03-04-2009, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

So the shifter is stuck in park? If that is the case, insert a key to unlock the shifter. You should be able to put the car in neutral to be able to start it.

Are there any codes stored in the trans computer? The S light or maybe the D4 light would start flashing while you are driving. There is a blue service connector under the glove box that you short with a thin piece of wire or a paper clip.

Go to http://techauto.awardspace.com/ and click on transmission in the upper left. That site has a lot of good information. The troubleshooting tab shows how to get the Tranny Codes. You can read the code directly from the LED on the TCU. Your accord may also have the S or D4 light flash the code.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:20 PM

I did use the unlock mechanism to get it out of park so I can drive home, but it does this everytime I try to drive. I have no way of reading codes, but I guess I will talk to a mechanic that can.

The D4 light has come on and blinked before, but it is not doing that this time.

Old 03-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

All you need is a thin paperclip and your eyes to read the codes. Its very simple to do.

As for the shifting problem, the shift lock solenoid is not unlocking the shifter.

There are some electrical tests that you can do to figure out the problem. The solenoid is under the shifter, so you will have to remove the center console and the radio bezel.

There is a two pin connector going to the solenoid. One pin should have 12V at all times. The other pin should be grounded only when the car is in park and your foot is on the brake. If those tests turn out good, then the solenoid is stuck (try WD-40 to loosen it) or the solenoid is shot.

Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
All you need is a thin paperclip and your eyes to read the codes. Its very simple to do.

As for the shifting problem, the shift lock solenoid is not unlocking the shifter.

There are some electrical tests that you can do to figure out the problem. The solenoid is under the shifter, so you will have to remove the center console and the radio bezel.

There is a two pin connector going to the solenoid. One pin should have 12V at all times. The other pin should be grounded only when the car is in park and your foot is on the brake. If those tests turn out good, then the solenoid is stuck (try WD-40 to loosen it) or the solenoid is shot.
Thanks PA!

I tried the paper clip deal and got no codes. There is a good chance that is because I disconnected the battery (advise on another thread) to see if it would reset the shifting issue.

I will try the other test for the park issue tomorrow to see what we get in there.

Old 03-05-2009, 08:05 PM

Okay, some new info from driving today.

If I put the car in 1st the green light is around the 1, if I put it in 2nd the green light is around the 2, if I put it in D3 the light is around the D3, but if I put it in D4 there is no green light.

I can set cruise controll and cancel it with the brake.

Old 03-05-2009, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

The gear position switch should be tested. It will be near the shift solenoid.

You can get the 91 shop manual from one of the links from the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section. That will have all of the information that you need in there.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:42 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cumminsman
Okay, some new info from driving today.

If I put the car in 1st the green light is around the 1, if I put it in 2nd the green light is around the 2, if I put it in D3 the light is around the D3, but if I put it in D4 there is no green light.

I can set cruise controll and cancel it with the brake.
Burned-out bulb at the D4 light? You need a good bulb in order to know whether there are any tranny error codes.

Old 03-14-2009, 11:42 AM

Well I got it figured out and wanted to post an update for anyone else experiencing the same issue. There were three things I noticed with this; a) would not release from park. b) only had 2nd gear if lever was in 1st or 2nd and 4th gear if lever was in D3 or D4. c) D4 light did not work.

The culprit was the AT control unit or the computer that controls the automatic transmission. I ended up getting a used one for $100, but spent a few hours at the junk yard looking for one because they were selling them for $15. My car is an EX model and I never found one for it, but lots for LX. I found some on ebay, but wanted one same day so I got it at a local place that specializes in Honda used parts. This part is located under the passenger side carpet under the floorboard.

Hope this information is helpful to anyone.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:37 PM

im having the issue with my lx, is the part a plug in electrical with a white head ?

Quick Reply: 1992 Accord stuck in Park