General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 Accord wont start -- no spark.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 07:25 PM
crw
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1992 Accord wont start -- no spark.

I have a 1992 Honda Accord with 4 CYL engine, and a 5 speed transmission, and 425,000 miles. I drove it to work this morning and it ran fine. When I got ready to go home it would turn over but not start. Checking the spark I am not getting any spark from the coil to the distributor. I ran to Autozone and purchased a new one and it still wont start and I don't seem to be getting any spark through the new coil either. Any idea's on what I need to check from here.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CRW

Old 12-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

Key to on, does the cel come on and go off?

Are you getting voltage to the dist/coil?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:10 PM
crw
Newest Of Newbies

The cel does come on and go off when the key is turned on. I'll have to check voltage tomorrow as I had to leave the car at work.
Thanks,
CRW

Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM
crw
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Key to on, does the cel come on and go off?

Are you getting voltage to the dist/coil?
I was mistaken.. The cel comes on but does not go off. I am getting 12 volts at the connector that plugs to the back of the coil when the key is turned on.

Old 12-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Kind of sounds like a main relay issue, try spraying cab cleaner in the TB-open the butterfly and see if it starts.......see if this helps with the repair/testing/replacement

Main Relay Fix, Troubleshooting (Honda, Acura) and how to solder

Old 12-14-2011, 08:58 PM
crw
Newest Of Newbies

Well today I installed a new distributor and that did not work. I also re-soldered the master relay joints and still have no spark at the coil. This one has me stumped.

Old 12-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Super Moderator

In the common DIY thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to a writeup on checking engine codes. Start there before throwing parts at the car.

Old 12-15-2011, 07:24 AM
crw
Newest Of Newbies

I have checked the engine codes... its not throwing any!!

Old 12-15-2011, 10:50 AM
crw
Newest Of Newbies

I have checked the main relay and it checks OK and I also have power to the main relay with the ignition key turned on. I was checking the ECU fuses and they checked ok. I checked for voltage at the ECU fuse with the key on and got nothing. Shouldn't there be voltage present as the ECU fuse if the ignition switch is turned on??

Old 12-15-2011, 01:21 PM
crw
Newest Of Newbies

Well the car is starting now but not for certain why. I had removed the main relay checking the connector to the relay for power again, when I plugged the relay back in and turned the key the cel light went off and the engine would then start. The coils on the relay are working but now I'm not sure if maybe the contacts inside have maybe gotten a little corroded over time making the signals through the relay contacts a little weak.

Quick Reply: 1992 Accord wont start -- no spark.