General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Accord alternator wont come off

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 12:19 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1993 Accord alternator wont come off

1994 Honda Accord LX
Single cam motor

So the charging system for this car is pretty much gone bad, Anyways my problem is i cant get it off. Diss connected battery removed the electrical plug off the alternator. removed tensioner bolt and the bolt next to it ( left side). At this point i expected the belt to get loose but no difference, removed the upper through bolt and still no play ( no pivot) at all in the alternator wont even move a bit.
Can anyone tell me what am i missing here?
Thanks for your help in advance
Cheers

Old 02-04-2012, 12:59 AM
Super Moderator

Can you rotate the alternator and remove the tension from the belt?

Old 02-04-2012, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you backed the tensioner bolt all the way out and removed, you left the tensioner lock nut holding the threaded adjustment part the tensioner bolt threads through. This would leave the alternator locked to the adjustment bracket. This lock nut is difficult to see and access and has caused problems for many.

You need a shop manual. Check download links of Online Manuals post in DIY Forum.

good luck

Old 02-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Newest Of Newbies

good idea cutting belt? its gone bad anyways...

Old 02-04-2012, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Cutting belt won't help installation of a new belt which requires adjustable alternator position.

good luck

Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Title says 93, yet it starts off as a 94. See if this pic for a 5th gen (94-97) helps. If all of the bolts and nuts are out and it still won't move, try some gentle prying, push on the belt, ect. After many years these can get a bit tight.

Attached Thumbnails 1993 Accord alternator wont come off-5th-gen-alt.jpg  

Last edited by poorman212; 02-05-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I put a large flathead screwdriver here and pry it off
excuse my crude paint skills

Old 02-05-2012, 07:46 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Title says 93, yet it starts off as a 94. See if this pic for a 5th gen (94-97) helps. If all of the bolts and nuts are out and it still won't move, try some gentle prying, push on the belt, ect. After many years these can get a bit tight.
MY BAD, its a 1993 and i got it out, just went back to the car moved the powersteering pump and etc crap on the side. Cut the belt, there was a bolt underneeth the alternator i dunoo what its called but yea got it out. Worst part is, took it to autozone got it tested and they said it works fine, yet the car had a battery light come on the dash when the battery was brand new it died got it recharged o'rileys put it on the car still battery light is on.
It always happens to me I take out the part and when i get it tested they say it works
Fuuu Comics
LIke this picture here.
Anyways back to the topic, Alternator good any suggestions? wiring? I did notice something white all over inside the plug that plugs into the alternator other than that it all seemed alright.

Old 02-06-2012, 05:31 PM
Super Moderator

Clean the terminals on the alt (plug and stud). Double check the battery terminals.

Start the car and measure the voltage at the "stud" on the alt - single wire. Then measure the voltage on the battery...about the same ~14.5 v?

Old 02-17-2012, 11:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

OK after long time having bad weather here in pittsburg i finally got to work today. Cut off the alternator belt, got a new belt, removed powersteering / compressor belt. opened up power steering moved it to the side. Installed new belt for alternator, tightened it . Put power steering/ compressor belt back on, tightened that belt too. Put dielectric grease on battery terminals and all the terminals of the alternator and everything works perfectly. The BAD - SEVERE BACK ACHE:@
Thanks everyone again. I really like the forum people actually know **** and help out when needed, have a good weekend everyone Cheers!

Quick Reply: 1993 Accord alternator wont come off