General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Accord - Bypassing AC Compressor

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 05:07 AM
Question 1993 Accord - Bypassing AC Compressor

I am helping a nephew who has a 1993 Accord EX with 2.2L. When running the engine the AC compressor makes a loud metal grinding noise. I believe that the clutch bearings are shot and causing the noise.

Having AC is NOT a priority right now, there are other things wrong with this car that needs more attention. I am hoping to bypass the AC compressor but do not know if this is possible.

The AC compressor and Altenator are on the same Serpentine belt so simply removing the belt will not remedy this problem. I am searching (with no success) a shorter replacement Serpentine belt to ONLY connect the alternator to the pulley and eliminating the AC compressor altogether.

Is there such a belt? Will this affect anything else going on with the engine or automobile by disconnecting the AC compressor?

Your help and advise will be greatly appreciated! I only have a very basic understanding of these automobiles (my heyday was back in the 70's when things were much simpler).

Thank you in advance.

Tom O.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

If you're sure it is the ac making the nosie then you might try this:
Not sure on that model where the "tension" is, I'm pretty sure the alternator is the pivot point. So in theory you should be able to find a shorter belt and by pass the ac unit. I did a quick look and did not see a listing for a non AC alternator belt for that year/model.
The part # for the one WITH ac is 5pk1105 (5 rib belt, 1105 mm in length?-been a long time since I actually sold parts for living). A sting around the pulleys should be a start, then plan on a few trips to the local parts store. Of course that is "assuming" all of the geometry still works.
Unless someone has a post on removing ac units with a part number?

Last edited by poorman212; 06-13-2010 at 08:36 AM. Reason: left out
Old 06-13-2010, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Slow this am, haven't had enough coffee.
As a try. I just looked again and a 93 DX did come w/o AC. Part number on belt w/o ac is 5PK0955, gates would be something like K050955.
It might work, as the listing for the DX WITH ac is the exact same as the EX. Again assuming the new route of the belt doesn't hit or rub against anything.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:17 PM

Hi Poorman,

Thank you for responding! You're a lifesaver...

You sound like you're Honda saavy and Internet connected. Is there a link to somewhere I can purchase this belt? I tried Gates, but could not find that specific belt.

Web searching, other locations that identified 5PK0955, did not indicate any specs on their belts, so I was not sure of what I was looking at.

Again, Thank You, I appreciate all of your help.

Tom O.

Old 06-13-2010, 09:01 PM

Hi Poorman,

I found the belt on line using the information that you provided and got a Dayco part number. Took that Dayco number to the local NAPA and they were able to cross reference the part and give me a NAPA equivalent so I think I'm almost there.

Now, I only need to get the job done. The engine box looks pretty tight. It also looks like I might need to remove the AC compressor. From initial looks, it appears the belt between the alternator and pulley will rub against the pully of the AC compresssor.

But, please accept my humble Thanks for the information that you provided.

Aloha and Best Wishes,

Tom O.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

You should be able to unbolt the compressor, so you can turn it. The clutch plate comes off with a 10mm socket. The pulley has a snap ring that will allow you to remove the pulley. Put the compressor back on, and it should be out of your way to install the belt.

Alternatively, you can have the bearing replaced once you have the pulley removed.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:35 AM

Thanks PAhonda!

That is a much better solution than having to remove the whole AC compressor. It makes sense and I believe doable with my basic skills.

Once I have the AC compressor out and I remove the clutch plate, I will remove the pulley and look to see if the bearing is worth replacing or if a new AC compressor should be considered down the road.

This is a fix is just to get my nephew driving again and to save up for the AC compressor. This summer heat should be a good motivator to get this pennies together.

You and Poorman have provided information that I was seeking and more! This gives me the confidence to pull this off.

Thank you!

Aloha,

Tom O.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Just one bit of advice, when you the clutch plate, there are several metal shims (washers) that can fall all over the place.

Just tilt the compressor up, so the shims will stay either on the compressor shaft or inside of the clutch plate.

Old 06-14-2010, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator

My pleasure.
I do have to admit one more mistake from yesterday. When I gave you the Gates number I failed to divide the mm into inches (955 / 25.4 = @ 37.5, so K050375 would have been better) Sorry.
If you can please update with how it went, just in case someone else has the same issue in the future.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Oh yeah, snap ring pliers will help a ton to get the snap ring out. The parts store should have them. I picked up mine at harbor freight for <$10.

Quick Reply: 1993 Accord - Bypassing AC Compressor