General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Honda Accord Right side brake lights Don't work

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 07:36 PM
Default 1993 Honda Accord Right side brake lights Don't work

1993 Honda Accord brake lights do not work on the right side. the parking lights and turn signals work but no brake lights. I'm not very good with wiring so this is really killing me. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Super Moderator

I moved your post to a new thread, since that one is pretty old. It gets confusing if two different people post questions on the same thread.

I can't remember if the brake bulb has two filaments, one for the parking light and another for the brake light. I would remove the bulb and look to see if the filament is burned out.

If you have a volt meter, check that you have 12V on the grn/wht wire that goes to the brake bulb when the brake pedal is pressed. The blk wire should have continuity (~zero resistance) to ground.

Old 07-31-2010, 10:06 AM

I HAVE THE EXACT same problem. NO clue. 1993 Accord LX. Its old but the motor is SO SO great but this is a big problem.
I changed the bulbs. I changed several bulbs. The center light in the back window does not work as well. The light in the brake light in the trunk lid and the brake light in the passenger side rear quarter panel. ALL the bulbs switched and NONE work.
The regular lights work.
The warning light goes on in the dash telling me I have an issue with the rear lights.
Is there a fuse (hoping for something easy)? Or a simple switch or something?
I would take it to the local shop if I thought they had a clue on fixing this. Cant afford the Honda dealer at their rates. ideas?? Worse yet it did this completely out of the blue.

Old 07-31-2010, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator

If my book is correct (Chilton 90-91), the GRN/WHT wire coming into the failure sensor should be hot when the brake is applied. Is it? All three bulbs are powered out of the right/pass side sensor.

Old 08-01-2010, 11:50 AM

I went to the back played with the wires. I now noticed I have a lot more problems than I thought. 1) Playing wires the brake lights started to work but the internal warning light is still ON???? And to be honest I have no idea why they started working. Maybe its the body ground. I did twist it. I get measure about 10 volts back there with the lights on which seems a little light.

My big issue is now I dont know if the warning light on the dash is telling me the truth or not.

Old 08-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

The warning light will stay on once "tripped", you would need to turn the key off and back on (once the lights are working) before it would go out.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:51 AM

@Chicago Bob123, can you tell me what the problem was? I am having the same exact problem with my Honda Help! Except no luck with moving and twisting the wires. But yes, same problem...right side brake light don't work. I would appreciate any help.

Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by SophiaScooter
@Chicago Bob123, can you tell me what the problem was? I am having the same exact problem with my Honda Help! Except no luck with moving and twisting the wires. But yes, same problem...right side brake light don't work. I would appreciate any help.
Do you have the same year Accord?

You are sure the bulb(s) are good - cheap so just replace?

Is the center light working? You have power the GRN/WHT wire going to the light/failure sensor?

Old 09-18-2012, 08:00 PM

the fix was too replace the little black box bolted onto the tail light. replacing that fixed everything. the box i am talking about has the wires coming out of it connecting to the bulbs.

Last edited by ChicagoBob123; 09-18-2012 at 08:02 PM.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

"Chicago" - good to see you again and thanks for coming back.

The "box" is what I call the "failure" sensor....if we are on the same page

Quick Reply: 1993 Honda Accord Right side brake lights Don't work