General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1993 Honda Accord strange problem need help

Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 PM
Default 1993 Honda Accord strange problem need help

Hey guys, so my 93 accord is having strange symptoms. Now these didnt necessarily all happen at once, but theyve been bothering me for a while now. First off the radio doesnt work, I tried three different radios so it cant be that. Alos the clock resets to 1:00 everytime I start the car. It's strange because the dash lights work, the a/c control lights work. The dome lights also dont work. Another thing is that my horn isnt workingbut I dont think that It's part of this. Any suggestions? Driving to school is really beginning to **** me off without a radio

Old 11-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

Check the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 PM

that was the first thing i checked. the fuse looks fine, maybe i should replace it anyways? I just gotta go find a 7.5 now

Old 11-24-2011, 12:37 AM
Super Moderator

I would use a volt meter and do some electrical testing.

I would start at the clock, since that should be the easiest component to test.

The blk wire is ground. Check that you have 12V to the wht/yel and the blk wire at all times. The yel wire should have 12V when the key is in the II position.

Old 11-24-2011, 10:18 AM

So I replaced the 7.5 fuse and 2 more fuses which were blown. Now the interior dome lights can turn on if they are in the on position and the annoying beeping sound that happens when you open the door now works but the radio and horn are still a no go. The IG 50a fuse is also blown but I dont have one of those. Does it have anything to do with the radio or horn? Btw the yellow 12v wire isn't even connected im guessing thats why my radio isnt working and the clock keeps resetting to 1:00. So now im curious... where does it go? haha im going to search a wiring diagram. Any suggestions?

Old 11-27-2011, 04:46 PM

I checked the yellow wire and it is getting 12v. Unfortunately the radio is still not getting any power. It cant be the actual radio because I tried 3 already. This is really starting to become a pain in the butt to fix especially with the winter coming. Any help would be greatly appreciated I'm so stumped right now. The radio should be getting power but it wont power on

Last edited by g22cd5; 11-27-2011 at 07:05 PM. Reason: watch your mouth
Old 11-27-2011, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator

Did you replace the 50amp fuse yet?

Suggest you download/buy a manual with a good wiring diagram for the car....

Old 11-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator

Where the maunal helps, key on-does the Yel/Red to the radio have power with key on-if not, #11 10 amp dash fuse panel is good? WHT/BLK from the ign switch has 12v? Then I'll let you guess what fuse supplies power to the WHT wire into the ign switch.

Sorry to sound like an A#*.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:43 PM

I dont mind if you sound like an as$ im just trying to learn about cars here so im glad that youre helping anyways. So I dont understand all of this but im sure if i run it through my dad he'll help me out. So I went to the scrapyard and got a couple 50a fuses but for some reason the previous owner bypassed it after it blew. The radio was working after that so it cant be that can it? I checked all the fuses and they are all fine. With the key on the yel/red to the radio does have power which I find kind of strange since when I plug the radio in there is no response. I havent checked the the wht/blk wire but I will. I also have purchased the repair manual so I'll go over all of the connections again.

Old 11-28-2011, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

Hey it was getting late for me and after I re-read my post I didn't want you to take it the wrong way.

You have 12v to the radio with the key on (YEL/RED wire)? Never thought to ask about checking the ground (BLK wire). Then (not a radio expert) check for 12v on the WHT/YEL wire (since the clock resets I'm betting this is missing but thought the radio would still work but just loose pre-sets).

Attached Thumbnails 1993 Honda Accord strange problem need help-4th-gen-radio.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1993 Honda Accord strange problem need help