General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1993 Honda Accord won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 03:39 PM
Unhappy 1993 Honda Accord won't start.

Hello last Thursday I started my car as usual and let it run for about fifteen minutes to warm up my car, so I could scrape my windows. After scraping my windows, I hopped in my car and put it in reverse. Once I put my car in reverse, it died. I tried to start it up again, but my car just cranked and it wouldn't turn over. All my electricals work, and my car makes a cranking sound when I turn the key...

Also I had this problem in August of '09, and the "D4" indicator on my gauges was flashing...I then changed my main relay and it fixed my problem. So yesterday I replaced the main relay again (the "D4" indicator was NOT flashing this time around) but multiple people recommended I change my relay to solve the problem, so I did. But once the new relay was installed, my car still had the same problem. It cranks and cranks, but no shows no signs of starting. So now I've ruled out the main relay and I've also ruled out my fuel pump because I can hear it when I turn the key to "on."

Does anyone have any recommendations on what to do next? I'm not car savvy and I'm at a loss right now. I desperately need my car so I can get to school....someone please help.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:19 PM
Super Moderator

Is your check engine light on? I would check for code(s) stored on the ECU.

There is a blue two-pin connector behind the passenger side kick panel that you will short with a piece of wire or a thin paperclip. You will turn the key to the II position, and count the check engine light flashes. A long blink = 10, and a short blink = 1.

See: techautorepairs[dot]com/dtc[dot]html for a diagram with instructions. Just substitute the [dot] with a .

Last edited by PAhonda; 01-13-2010 at 05:22 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I would check for spark, that the cam is turning (take the oil cap off and have someone crank it), and fuel. You could spray some fuel into the throttle body with it open and the air induction system taken off, or see if you have fuel in the return line or do a fuel pressure test. You need fuel, spark and compression to start.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

as advised make sure that you are getting spark and fuel.........(silly question ) you got fuel in tank correct ??

Old 01-13-2010, 11:42 PM

RE: PAhonda
I actually tried that today, but when I turn my key to II, my check engine light just stays lit and doesn't blink at all...is that normal?

RE: kris_loehr
I'll try that tomorrow, but is it easy to do? I'm not car literate whatsoever, but is this something that can be easily diagnosed. I guess what I'm trying to say is will checking for a spark be something I could do relatively easy?

RE: deserthonda
Yes, my tank was 1/2 full when it died on me...but my needle is now below the 1/2 tank line...roughly half-inch below. Is that normal, or is it because my car hasn't been started for a few days? I know sometimes when I start my car, the needle will read empty, but when the car starts the needle realigns itself. Is that the case here?

Also a friend of mine told me to replace my fuel filter, because that's what could be causing my lack of start...is there anyway to check my fuel filter to see if it is somehow clogged, preventing my car from starting?

I appreciate the help...tomorrow I'll check for the spark and I'll report back with my results. Again, thank you.

Old 01-14-2010, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

When you jumper that connector... If there's NO error codes stored, the CEL will just stay on solid. So that means you don't have any stored error codes.

Spray some throttlebody cleaner into the throttle body then try to start. If it fires then you have spark (it won't STAY running).

Another way is pull a spark plug wire off & put any old spark plug into the wire. Lay that on a good ground & crank the engine. Watch for a nice bright spark.

The real difinitive check for the fuel filter is to measure fuel pressure at the fuel rail. But if the fuel filter is old, it's not a bad idea to just change it anyway.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:18 PM

RE: JimBlake
Is having no stored error codes bad? Can i get them somehow? Also where is the throttle body located? And where is the spark plug wire located? Perhaps do you know of any good links to perform these (with pictures also)? Sorry if these are dumb questions, I am not a car guy whatsoever, but I want to fix my car and don't have the money to get it repaired.

Also I'm gonna check the spark, but I was wondering is this something I can do alone, or do I need someone to help me start the car while I locate a spark? I planned on doing it yesterday but I had no help, and its looking like a few days before someone is available to help me. Can I perform a spark check alone? Thanks again guys.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

Having no stored codes isn't bad at all. It means the car's computer "thinks" that nothing is wrong. Knowing there's no errors can help with figuring it out.

Checking spark usually needs 2 people. One to turn the key & try to start while the other watches the sparkplug.

Lots of questions about where things are located... Best would be to find a friend who knows his way around the engine compartment. The parts drawings that I usually post here might not make sense if you don't already know what you're looking for.

On top of your engine is the valve cover - a metal "lid" that says "HONDA" across it. There's 4 black wires going into that cover - THOSE are the spark plug wires. The spark plugs are down inside the 4 holes. The other ends of those wires all collect together at one side; that's the distributor.

Alongside the distributor is a black rubber air duct. Kinda like a fat hose. Look towards the back, that hose attaches to metal parts; that first thing is the throttle body.

Might be nice if someone would add labels to a photograph of the engine compartment...?

Old 01-15-2010, 06:51 PM

Thanks jim....I know what you're talking about...I'll check it either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:07 PM

RE:jim

hey I tried spraying throttle body cleaner into my throttle body (i found it along with the spark plug/wires and distributor!!!) and nothing happened. Does this mean I don't have a spark and should change my spark plugs? Thanks, take care.

Quick Reply: 1993 Honda Accord won't start.