General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Accord EX A/C Blowing Hot air, while System is Full

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default 1994 Accord EX A/C Blowing Hot air, while System is Full

Hi Guys-

I was trying to fill the system because I was thinking maybe it's low on R143a, while I was filling the system filler gauge was showing that system is already full(Warning Zone).

But if I run the A/C it blows Hot air, if I touch the compressor line, they aren't cold, so it means compressor isn't engaging, right?

How can I troubleshoot and fix this? Because A/C used to work fine~2 years ago but not any more? Any help, advice and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again for helping out.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Can you hear the compressor engaging? The engagement sound is really obvious once u turn on the ac.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Never add R134a to the system using the gauge that comes on those cans. You really need to use a manifold that measures the high and low side of the system. Assuming you are low in R134a and blindly adding it to the system is dangerous.

Do some basic diagnostics first.

When the engine is cold, start the engine and turn on the a/c. Does the green light turn on on the a/c switch?

Do both fans bolted to the radiator turn on?

Take a look at the pulley of the a/c compressor. There is a plate at the very end that should not spin when the engine is running and the a/c is turned off. Use a flash light to see the clutch plate. Also, be careful not to get anything caught in those serpentine belts. When you turn on the a/c, does the clutch plate start spinning with the pulley?

Old 07-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Never add R134a to the system using the gauge that comes on those cans. You really need to use a manifold that measures the high and low side of the system. Assuming you are low in R134a and blindly adding it to the system is dangerous.
As always, thanks so much for the tip, will keep in mind for future.

Do some basic diagnostics first.

When the engine is cold, start the engine and turn on the a/c. Does the green light turn on on the a/c switch?
Yes, green light on the dash do come, if I turn the AC on and temperature **** to the coldest.

Do both fans bolted to the radiator turn on?
Yes, if I turn on the AC both fans do run.

Take a look at the pulley of the a/c compressor. There is a plate at the very end that should not spin when the engine is running and the a/c is turned off. Use a flash light to see the clutch plate. Also, be careful not to get anything caught in those serpentine belts. When you turn on the a/c, does the clutch plate start spinning with the pulley?
I have just replaced both serpentine belts and they are brand new, so I guess they are clean. Yes, clutch plate do spin when I turn the AC on, still have to check if the AC is off if it's turning or no?

Thanks again, what are possible next steps for troubleshooting?

Old 07-22-2013, 09:47 AM
Super Moderator

if the compressor turns with the A/C on and you have no cold air (you said hot) and hot air is blowing, you may have a control issue with the blend doors or you have a compressor that has gone bad. next step is to put a set of gauges on and find out what the pressures are, high and low side. i've said it before and i'll say it again, dumping refrigerant into a system without know what the problem is, is a bad idea...

Old 07-22-2013, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I'm not sure you understand difference between clutch plate (on extreme end of compressor & turns w/ compressor when clutch engages w/ a loud click) and drive pulley (turns all the time whether compressor is engaged or not).

If hoses are warm and compressor is really turning, then very low charge, failed compressor, or failed expansion valve is indicated.

Agree that measuring system pressures is necessary to determine fault.

good luck

Old 07-22-2013, 12:51 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by Dr. Drivability
if the compressor turns with the A/C on and you have no cold air (you said hot) and hot air is blowing, you may have a control issue with the blend doors or you have a compressor that has gone bad. next step is to put a set of gauges on and find out what the pressures are, high and low side. i've said it before and i'll say it again, dumping refrigerant into a system without know what the problem is, is a bad idea...
Thanks for the help and response guys.

A/C used to work just fine 2 years ago, it started to get less cold and finally now blowing 'Hot' air.

I am sorry, didn't know that refrigerant is not a problem and culprit

How to troubleshoot for the blend door and a bad compressor?What should be the pressure on the Low/High side?

Old 07-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I'm not sure you understand difference between clutch plate (on extreme end of compressor & turns w/ compressor when clutch engages w/ a loud click) and drive pulley (turns all the time whether compressor is engaged or not).

If hoses are warm and compressor is really turning, then very low charge, failed compressor, or failed expansion valve is indicated.

Agree that measuring system pressures is necessary to determine fault.

good luck
I am a bit confused now, definitely drive pulley will always rotate, since it has a belt running on it, right? On my way back from work, will check and inspect for the rotating clutch plate.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Super Moderator

If, after you are able to verify the AC is really working and it is still blowing hot air, then move on to check the heater valve.

A misadjusted heater valve cable, a stripped valve or both can make the A/C temperature higher by alot . Disconnect the heater valve cable and check the heater valve arm for looseness. If the stem screw is loose or the arm has any play, you found a likely cause for the problem. A heater valve in this conditions is usually considered irreparable, so replacement would be necessary.

See this for adjustment of heater valve cable:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...adjustment-jpg

Old 07-22-2013, 03:42 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Thanks so much 'Redbull-1' for your response and reply.

You brought up a very interesting point and now let me share another thing if it helps for troubleshooting.

In the past if I put the temperature **** to coolest position and just run the fan with recirculate off, fresh air starts to come and it's usually cool(Of course, depends on the outside temperature). But yesterday when I tried to do it, it's still throwing warm/Hot air instead of the cool while outside it's raining. Yesterday was also the first day when I tried to use AC since it's HOT as hell inside and outside it's raining, so I didn't have any choice

Does it have anything to do with the point you brought up? Mine is 1994 Honda Accord EX and heat works just fine.

Quick Reply: 1994 Accord EX A/C Blowing Hot air, while System is Full