General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Accord EX - engine starts but stalls in less than 2 seconds

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 11:02 AM
Default 1994 Accord EX - engine starts but stalls in less than 2 seconds

I have a 1994 Accord EX wagon with the VTEC engine. I bought it new and have looked after it well. It now has 235k miles and still runs excellent. For the past month I have an annoying problem. Once (or twice) a week, after a short drive (3 - 5 miles), and parking for 2 - 3 hours (outdoors in 90+ temperature everytime) it will not start back up. It will crank and the engine will fireup for a very short time and then die. The check engine light comes on (and then goes off after 3 - 4 seconds), I can hear the fuel pump run and the relay click under the dash.

In each instance, after 5 - 6 hours, the car starts back up like nothing happened and I can drive away.

The only one exception to this routine is that 2 weeks back, after the 2 - 3 hour parking, it started up and let me drive but then the engine died within a 1/4 mile and all the lights came on the dash.

The problem is intermittent and has never occurred under my mechanic's watch. He tells me that there are no error codes in the ECU. he does not detect any problem with the fuel pump.

Repairs attempted thus far (each repair has been performed on a weekly basis):
Week 1 - My mechanic initially replaced the distributor including wires.
Week 2 - I replaced the main fuel relay.
Week 3 - I had the after market alarm system removed reverting the car to its original factory remote which can only open or lock the doors.

Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-29-2012, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

This fault may be tough to find until it becomes continuously presented.

Some things to check:

1) Ignition switch assy can occasionally cause engine stoppage/failure to start and can be intermittent. If all dash lights are on when no-start condition is present, this is probably not the problem.

2) EGR stuck open may lean the engine enough to cause engine stoppage.

3) Intermittent ECU problem may be very tough to ID unless continuous, but we're seeing more failures of ECU's in the 94-97 models when some time ago, this was thought to be bullet-proof.

4) Any work done on engine that preceded this problem? A loose ground can also cause this problem. Check engine grounds carefully. Loose/cracked battery post might cause similar condition.

good luck

Old 08-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Default Thanks Texas Honda

1. Only the one time all lights came on - otherwise it is only the usual lights come and go off and car cranks and then engine dies.

2. What is the EGR?

3. Will look into a new ECU

4. I had the timing belt replaced along with water pump and belts sometime in May 2012.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

My 91 EX was acting in a similar way a few weeks ago. I replaced all my vacuum hoses and the adjusted the idle. It now runs great. The main difference with your problem and mine was that mine did start. It would stall after a couple of minutes though. This only happened after the car was warmed up good. Probably not your problem, but for $5 worth of hose it may be worth checking out.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by honda-fan
1. Only the one time all lights came on - otherwise it is only the usual lights come and go off and car cranks and then engine dies.

2. What is the EGR?

3. Will look into a new ECU

4. I had the timing belt replaced along with water pump and belts sometime in May 2012.

2 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve.

3- Don't go new....big $$$'s. Check for a used one on e-bay, car-part dot com or reman from a parts store.....if you want to go with this.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 AM
Super Moderator

The "thing" next to the ECU is the TCU (computer for the trans).

Old 09-02-2012, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

sounds like a fuel pump to me??? if it's the factory one after that mileage and time i'd change it, along with the fuel filter...they can work very intermittently while they're getting ready to go on vacation....

Old 10-12-2012, 10:44 AM
Default Bad ECU

I replaced the ECU and all is well

Old 10-12-2012, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator

I merged the OP's two duplicate threads; so, a post or two may sound out of context relative to other users' responses.

OP, in the future, please do not create duplicate threads.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:56 AM

is it possible to start the car, and while not letting go of the key but just easing it back some and holding it there....that the car will continue to run?

worth a quick try. if it runs, my effort would be in the direction of the electrical portion of the ignition switch.

Quick Reply: 1994 Accord EX - engine starts but stalls in less than 2 seconds