General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Accord Fuel Delivery Problem

Old 02-26-2012, 04:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1994 Accord Fuel Delivery Problem

I've had 158,000 mostly trouble free miles with my 1994 Accord Wagon. Today something changed that has raised a red flag. Stopped by a convenience store in a rough neighborhood on the way home. Got what I needed. The car turned over, ran for about 2 seconds and shut off. This happened about 7 times. Some crack heads picked up on my problem and approached the vehicle begging for money. I told them I had none and cranked the car over. It started and I got the hell out of there. Started trouble shooting and discovered something that was not the case until now. If I put the ignition switch on run and let the fuel pump complete it's cycle, it starts every time. I wait until I hear the pump quit and then the "check engine" light turns on. Never had to do this before. What am I looking at? Failing pump?

Old 02-26-2012, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Just want to get this correct. Normally when you turn the key to the II position and do not try to start the car, the check engine light turns on for about two seconds (the fuel pump turns on while this happens), then the check engine light should turn off. If the check engine light remains on, then you should check the codes.

In the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link on checking engine codes. Post any codes you find on here. The code(s) will help identify the problem.

Good luck.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:04 PM

the fuel injector systems in our cars have "check valve" in the fuel pump. What it does- it prevent the fuel to drain back to tank and unpressurized the system. in the normal car the pressure inside the fuel system while the car is not running suppose to be 0.3-1 Bar It allows the car to have the fuel when you start it. Sometimes the Check valves fails and your pressure drops to zero. so what you should do to figure it out. first check the fuel pressure on running and non running car. Running-3bar. if your pressure after you shut off the car droped to zero-new pump or you can purchese an aftermarket valve which is "cut in line" near the tank.
What could be with your car- pressure dropped to zero. and in order to start the car you had to bleed the system from air and refill it with fuel.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Just want to get this correct. Normally when you turn the key to the II position and do not try to start the car, the check engine light turns on for about two seconds (the fuel pump turns on while this happens), then the check engine light should turn off. If the check engine light remains on, then you should check the codes.

In the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link on checking engine codes. Post any codes you find on here. The code(s) will help identify the problem.

Good luck.
What you described as the proper sequence of events is exactly what is happening. No codes and the check engine light does turn off. Before I didn't wait until the check engine light turned off. The car would just start. Now waiting for the check engine light to turn off is mandatory.

vova,I will look into the check valve situation. Your scenario makes sense. Would the check valve just suddenly fail? My situation happened like a light switch. Started like always then suddenly something changed. No warning.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:39 AM

the check valve in fuel pump could fail without any notice. the "cut in line" type of valve is usually $28. so it is much better then a new pump. but first check the pressure. Harbor freight tools have a nice gauges to little price. DIY on check pressure you could find on Youtube

Old 02-27-2012, 12:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by vova
the check valve in fuel pump could fail without any notice. the "cut in line" type of valve is usually $28. so it is much better then a new pump. but first check the pressure. Harbor freight tools have a nice gauges to little price. DIY on check pressure you could find on Youtube
Checked the fuel pressure after sitting all night. Zero! You nailed it. I've never heard of that so I would have never suspected that in a million years. Thank you.

Old 02-28-2012, 01:51 AM

I am glad that you found it. Good luck fixing it.

Old 02-28-2012, 04:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Should'nt have been so hasty in my celebration. Car died while driving today and is acting as above. Will turn over and run for about 2 seconds....then it stalls. Won't stay lit. I suspect the ignition switch or main relay. Where is the main relay?

Old 02-29-2012, 08:23 PM
Cool

OK..sounds like a real problem now..
why you not to check the fuel pressure first?? maybe your pump is dead. check the compression in cylinders-maybe engine is so worn out that it is not able to work normally. And a good advice-spend 20$ on haynes repair manual or pick it up in your local library..it is good DIY book with plenty of information about electrical trouble shooting. But fuel pressure and compression is ALWAYS first to check. Also find the information about car self diagnostic system because it is 94 and does not have OBD2. maybe codes will tell you more(Haynes manual has them)
Please keep us informed.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Have a few more possible problems that could cause such problem
1- vacuum leak (check the rubber hose between air box and intake manifold. all the hoses that connects to it. If there is a crack it will produce such symptoms as you described.
2- Loose or faulty connections at distributor, coil, or alternator(from Haynes manual)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1994 Accord Fuel Delivery Problem