General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Accord LX Dash and Lights Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2012, 07:05 PM
Default 1994 Accord LX Dash and Lights Issue

Hey guys, I know this problem has been brought up here before and I've searched for solutions, but havent seen any threads with my identical problem. Here's the problem, followed by some background to help narrow it down.

1994 Accord LX (4 Door, Automatic Trans)
I do have an aftermarket stereo, but all wires and connections are sealed up and protected.

The Bad:
- My dash lights arent working. By that I mean the lights in my speedometer, fuel gauge, RPM meter, and temperature gauge. The lights above them are also out.
- My instrument lights are out. (The lights above my radio and the lights in my gear shifter).
- My dome light, wiper delay setting, and rear defroster do not work. (I'm told these are all part of the same fuse)
- My key is stuck in the ignition.

The Good:
- My AC and heating controls are functional. My clock, hazard lights, cruise control, and cigarette lighter also work just fine.
- None of my fuses are blown (in both the driver side panel and under the hood)

When I bought the car, the lights all worked just fine. Then they started to come on and off, and when I would bang on the top of the dash they'd stay on for a little bit, but eventually they went out and never came back on.

The Small Lights fuse also use to blow whenever I would replace the fuse and turn the lights on.

Today I tore apart the dash, checked all the bulbs and wires and everything looked to be in pretty good shape. Now the Small Lights Fuse no longer blows, but my dome light and rear defroster still dont work.

I've looked all over and cannot find a solution. I still have yet to get a new dimmer switch (the one with the adjustable ****) and that is my next step. Any other suggestions would be great!!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:28 PM
Super Moderator

In the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum, there is a link to online shop manuals. You can get a 94 shop manual from the honda-tech link in there.

I would probably start doing some tests on the wiring with a volt meter. Check for voltage on the red wire going to the dimmer switch, since that is easy to access.

Which fuse is blowing?

Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM
Super Moderator

So are the dash lights now working and the only issue(s) left is the dome and re-defrost?

If so, I think you have two different issues.

When you open the door - does the light on the door come on?

On the switch for the de-frost - when you press it, does the light come on?

Old 09-30-2012, 10:36 AM

No, my dash lights are still out. Everything listed above in "the bad" are out.

The door does not chime, nor do the lights come on.

The defroster button also does not light up.

No fuses are currently blowing.

Old 09-30-2012, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

As suggested by PA already. Pull the dash dimmer and test the inputs to it....Please. The RED/BLACK wire should have 12v to ground with the headlights on......Does it?

Old 10-01-2012, 08:34 PM

Problem Solved!!! (kind of)

I went to a junkyard and replaced the dimmer switch (next to the cruise control switch) and I now have dash lights, all except for the light behind the air control *****, the shifter, and the ashtray...most of which worked for a second but then went out, even after I changed the bulbs.

While I was at the junkyard I went ahead and picked up a new cluster anyway. The 97 I got it from had a nicer dash anyway.

However, my Rear Defroster, Dome Light, door chime, etc are still out. I figured out that the "Interior Lights" fuse is blowing almost the second I put it in. This is a 7.5 fuse under the hood. I plugged it in, heard a door chime for a second, then poof, the fuse blew.

I had the entire dash pulled apart and could not find a loose wire or loose connection anywhere. I've had everyone throw a schematic at me telling me to figure it out, but if I knew how to do that, I wouldnt be posting my problem online. Those things look like Japanese to me.

Old 10-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator

Yea I hate electrical issues.

Do you have a volt meter?

Also, tell more about the key being "stuck"?

Old 01-02-2013, 06:35 AM

i have the same problem, but my radio and clock dont work either

Old 01-02-2013, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 1st Owner
i have the same problem, but my radio and clock dont work either
Ok, check the fuses (underhood and underdash) along with testing the dimmer as suggested in this thread.