General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Accord LX needs Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Default 1994 Accord LX needs Help!!!

I have a 1994 Accord lx that has been giving me trouble. The fuel pump is not getting any power. I have changed the main relay twice the last time with a Honda relay. But the power issue is off and on? The car will sit and not start for days and then you go out and it fires right up? I'm just not sure where to look next? Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated!!!

Old 08-27-2012, 03:51 PM

1. Clean your batteries electrical terminals
  2. make sure your battery is good (should be above 12.4 volts but below 12.6 with engine off - engine on it should be around 14.4 v)
  3. give us more information like does it shut off while driving? do the dash lights self check when the problem happens?
  4. is there a check engine light
  5. what components have you serviced or replaced on this car
  6. how many miles are on this car

Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM

Just to add on what silver6gen said.

Does it crank?
Do you hear any sound coming from pump before starting it? ( it should make a small buzzing sound)
If it doesnt fireup, whatdoes it make? Does it make a clicking sound?

There are alot of thins to consider here sir, you may want to add more information so people here in HAF can help you better.

Goodluck

Old 08-28-2012, 08:57 PM

Battery is fine, it turns over and is getting fire just no power to the fuel pump. And it will crank every now and then. This has been going on for almost a month. There is a check engine light that shows a bad O2 sensor. Like I said I've changed the Main Relay twice. Also it died on me while on the road at the begining of the month and a mechanic put in a new distributor and it died again 2 days later. Just not sure where to go from here?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:01 PM
Super Moderator

How are you verifying that you have no power to the fuel pump?

Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 PM

Checking the black and yellow wire that is suppose to be the power to the fuel pump.
Thanks for any help suggestions etc. this has really got me stumped!

Old 08-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Super Moderator

Ok. That blk/yel wire only get 12V for about two seconds when you turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. That wire gets power when the check engine light turns on for the bulb check.

I thought it was easier to connect a 12V test light that I picked up from radioshack to test for voltage, because you can look in the rear view mirror to see if the light turns on.

Also, do you not hear the fuel pump turn on during those two seconds? It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat, so listen carefully.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:41 PM

Finally got fed up with it and took it to Honda Deaslership. They said it was a PCM problem they replaced the PCM. I left the dealership and I did'nt get 2 miles and it died again and will not start turns over but no start. Dealership says something else must have gone wrong. They want me to bring it back to sart over. May just junk it!

Old 09-04-2012, 09:58 PM

Does your CEL light? If it does, do you have the code/s?

Check your ecu if its getting any power.

I often times read problems like this and always the ecu is the culprit. I hope you can still sort this out.

Goodluck

Old 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM

is it a standard or an automatic if its a standard the clucth switch under the clutch is not engagine cause the rubber gromet came out of the clutch pedal which is telling the computer not to start the car cause the clutch is not engaged i had the same problem with my accord to fix this u would have to take the clutch pedal out and put a bolt and nut but that is too techinical on mine i undid the switch from under the clutch pedal it the sensor way at the top i then unplugged it and bent a paper clip and put on part on each side making a jumper to keep the contact like the clutch is always engaged and its almost 9 months i did this and taped it with black tape so the paper clip would not come out and never had a problem with my car starting since i talked to so many mechanics it was not even funny they made me change the igination the distributor and all kinds of other parts when in all reality all i need was a paper clip and black tape hope this helps this is common on the 1994 honda my friend has one and her car started doing the same thing about three months ago and i did the same thing to her car and she has not had a problem since and the mechanic told her it would cost about $2400.00 to fix her car n i fixed it for free and im a woman go figure

Quick Reply: 1994 Accord LX needs Help!!!