General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 Accord Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 09:59 PM
torreddaytona1230
Unregistered
Default 1994 Accord Transmission

Just purchased a 94 Accord, 700 bucks. The owner said that when you are driving the car, the transmission cuts out. If you pull over and sit for a minute, start the car the transmission works again. Anyone know if a new computer control module will fix this problem, or should I just look for a new transmission. The fluid is clear. I heard that the problems with these transmissions is usually the computer. Whatcha think, let me know.

Old 04-23-2009, 10:36 AM

Im not to sure but. I have an issue with mine as well. I replaced mY tranny with a used one but the fly wheel didnt fit (auto). So we used the old one. It was a little smaller but it was all we had. Now, while driving the car sometimes shifts at high RPM's and and sounds like im reving before I shift. I have a 94 accord and I think but the tranny I put in came off a 95 accord. Could the small fly wheel be the issue or could it be with the computer like torre is talking about?

Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Super Moderator

Sumpump, you should check the adjustment of the cable going from throttlebody down to tranny. Yours sounds like a different problem vs. Torred's.

Old 04-23-2009, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is the D4 light flashing or steady On?

If yes, then extract code/s for flashing light.

A steady light may indicate a faulty TCU. Try resetting the TCU by pulling the BackUp fuse (7.5A) for 20 secs or disconnecting negative battery cable for same time. If this temporarily fixes the problem, then a new TCU may be needed. Your radio presets will be lost and you'll need radio security code if you still have OEM radio.

good luck

Old 04-23-2009, 12:32 PM

Thank you for your help much appreciated. I hope it works.

Old 04-23-2009, 07:43 PM
torreddaytona1230
Unregistered
Smile

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Is the D4 light flashing or steady On?

If yes, then extract code/s for flashing light.

A steady light may indicate a faulty TCU. Try resetting the TCU by pulling the BackUp fuse (7.5A) for 20 secs or disconnecting negative battery cable for same time. If this temporarily fixes the problem, then a new TCU may be needed. Your radio presets will be lost and you'll need radio security code if you still have OEM radio.

good luck

Was this referencing my post of the other guy who hijacked mine with his own problem. Where would this steady/flashing light be? I don't see anything like that. I drove it tonight and the tranny did do what he said. I turned off the car, restarted and it worked fine to get home. Very weird IMO!

Old 04-24-2009, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

In response to the OP; [not the THREADJACKER]
First off, to check for codes you'll need to jumper the BLUE 2 pin service connector that is located under/behind the glove box towards the kick panel. Then turn the key on and see if the 'D4' lite or 'CEL' lite flash a code.
From the description of your problem I'm thinking the sump filter is getting plugged up, the trans loses pressure.....you sit about 5-10 minutes the contamination falls off the sump filter. and then you can drive again.
First thing to try is trans fluid change...like 3 in a row, with short drives between each change.
The most common cause of the sump filter getting plugged up and the actual cause of your problem is the clutches in the torque converter are coming apart.

Old 04-25-2009, 06:57 PM
torreddaytona1230
Unregistered

Originally Posted by hondadude
In response to the OP; [not the THREADJACKER]
First off, to check for codes you'll need to jumper the BLUE 2 pin service connector that is located under/behind the glove box towards the kick panel. Then turn the key on and see if the 'D4' lite or 'CEL' lite flash a code.
From the description of your problem I'm thinking the sump filter is getting plugged up, the trans loses pressure.....you sit about 5-10 minutes the contamination falls off the sump filter. and then you can drive again.
First thing to try is trans fluid change...like 3 in a row, with short drives between each change.
The most common cause of the sump filter getting plugged up and the actual cause of your problem is the clutches in the torque converter are coming apart.

Thanks for the information appreicate it. I am going to try this tomorrow and see what happens. Hell I only paid 700 bucks for the car and the body and interior are in excellent shape, If need be I'll just buy and new tranny and tq conv.

Old 04-28-2009, 06:57 PM
torreddaytona1230
Unregistered

Did the fluid change, the old fluid was brown. but it didn't fix the problem. Still when driving the trans goes away and the engine revs until I take my foot off the gas. Turn the car off, turn it on and it works for a while and then boom trans disappears. Turn it off turn it on, back for little while.

Might just try changing the computer, I have one from a wrecked car.

Old 07-28-2009, 10:11 PM
Brandon Hollis
Unregistered

I know this is an old thread but what did you ever do to fix it? mine is doing somewhat the same thing...

Quick Reply: 1994 Accord Transmission