General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Honda Accord brake vibration not going away!! Please help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2010, 09:26 PM
Unhappy 1994 Honda Accord brake vibration not going away!! Please help!

Hello,
I have a 1994 Honda Accord EX sedan. The car has a pretty intense vibration, only when braking, and the steering wheel shakes like crazy when its vibrating. I figured this was a warped rotor issue, so I put brand new rotors and brake pads on all four wheels (I did it all myself). The vibration was still EXACTLY the same. Some of the front end parts looked worn out, so I replaced both front outter tie rod ends, both front upper ball joints and control arms/bushings. The drivers side CV boot was ripped bad so I replaced the whole axle with a new one as well. Around the same time I had new tires put on the car, so then I knew it wasn't any sort of tire balance issue. All the rest of the bushings and ball joints, etc look fine.
After all of this the car STILL vibrates EXACTLY the same!

I have no idea what else to do, does anyone have any ideas?? This is driving me crazy! I read something about torqueing the lugs on in a certain order and to a specific torque spec, could it be that? PLEASE help, let me know if you have ANY ideas! Thank you!
Andrew

Old 01-30-2010, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

You problem sounds exactly like a warped rotor problem.

Were you original brake pads worn unevenly? Did the original caliper pistons push back in easily?

Are you rotors setup like an OEM accord where the rotor is behind the hub? If you hub is in front of the rotor, then torquing the wheels will not make a difference. That is for setups where the rotor is in front of the hub.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:18 PM
Super Moderator

Don't count out the new rotors being warped.
I had a period of time when working at an independent shop, for a couple months in a row every rotor we got from the "National Chain" parts store was warped right out of the box.
It was really annoying to say the least.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 PM

The original pads didn't look like were worn unevenly at all, and the caliper pistons pushed back perfectly. They are the OEM set up where the rotor is behind the hub...which sucked to replace. The rear rotors are on the outside, if I didn't torque the rear wheels do you think that would cause any vibration? I highly doubt it would cause as much vibration as I'm getting though.

Wow that would really suck if the rotors are warped, but thats what I kept thinking too. It feels exactly like warpped rotors still. So think I should replace the front rotors again? And if so, do you think autozone would take the warped rotors back if I've had them on the car for a couple months? Or am I screwed and have to buy new ones?

The boot on the rear right caliper was ripped, but it screwed back in fine and no fluid was leaking at all. So I figured it was fine and put it back on. The pads on that caliper were worn evenly too so thats another reason I thought it was ok. Do you think that could be giving me trouble? Thanks guys

Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You could use a dial indicator to check run out on your rotors, but if you purchased inexpensive rotors they tend to come warped. When I worked at the Honda dealer part of the time they got to replace rotors included cutting them, but I have never had a OEM Honda one be warped out of the box. I would replace the seal as your caliper will seized but that isn’t your problem. How did you get the rotors off from the hub and bearing?

Last edited by kris_loehr; 01-30-2010 at 10:37 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 10:44 PM

Not sure if this is a part of the problem, have you gotten and alignment done? i had a problem like yours on my old saturn, and it was the alignment and rotors.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

Don't replace the rotors again.....find a shop that has an "on car lathe" Have the new rotors resurfaced

Old 01-30-2010, 11:33 PM
Administrator

HondaDude has your best answer there..do what he is saying...

Old 02-01-2010, 11:18 AM

I found a guide to replace the front rotors and thats what I went off of....I will look for the link that I went off of so I can show you that. I followed it to the T.

I did get a front end alignment right after I replaced the tie rod ends...it was with an independent "grease monkey" type mechanic, but he usually does good alignments.

Nice, I didn't know you could get your rotors machined on the car! Ok I called around town and found a few places with the machine to do it. I set up an appointment to get them machined on the car tomorrow, so I will let you guys know if that does the trick!

Thank you guys for the help so far! I will let you know tomorrow

Old 02-01-2010, 12:26 PM
Supper Moderator

No doubt it's your rotors. Don't that suck you have to get your NEW rotors machined after buying them NEW. IMPO when you need rotors go to honda them self might be little extra $$$ but as you are seeing it's alot less time and aggravation.

I use to go to honda for most of my needs but since my g/f uncle owns his own parts store I go to him just b/c if something is wrong I get taken care of and a a little bit cheaper....lol Iv been kicked out of my local honda dealer cus they p*ssed me off with their own fed-up. I’m a nasty person when you rub me the wrong way...they have found that out and I'm not allowed in the Tallahassee honda dealer...cus they a bunch of p*ssys...I told the parts manger Id make him s*it his own teeth if he didn’t make things right on something they f-ed up. The funny part is I am only 5’7 130lbs. and the parts manger was a big hefty boy and they were scared of me?? lol damn interbreed c*ck suckers

Last edited by g22cd5; 02-01-2010 at 12:36 PM.

Quick Reply: 1994 Honda Accord brake vibration not going away!! Please help!