General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Honda Accord EX (F22B1)-Should I be worried about Loud Engine Noise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default 1994 Honda Accord EX (F22B1)-Should I be worried about Loud Engine Noise?

Hi Guys-

Hope you all are doing well.

So, I did a HG job on my car few months back and since then it's running fine, had put nearly 6k miles on it.

Gas mileage are usually between 28-32 mpg, including highway and city driving.

I tried to adjust valves when I did the HG, because exhaust valves in one of the cylinder were replaced. Since then, engine has a very loud noise, seems like coming from the exhaust/engine area.

Question: Should I be worried about the engine noise? Should i try to adjust the valves again or continue to drive like this?

P.S:I do not see any performance lose or any other issues at all. Idle is dead on at ~700-800 and temp gauge is well below half mark. On a cold morning, it starts like a diesel truck, but as soon car is warmed up, engine noise reduces, but it's definitely present/noticeable.

Thanks in advance to all of you, for your help and cooperation.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Super Moderator

Check the exhaust manifold....where #1 and #2 runners come together, a crack seems to like to show up there.

Old 12-13-2013, 08:36 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Check the exhaust manifold....where #1 and #2 runners come together, a crack seems to like to show up there.
Thanks PM, always appreciate your help

When I turn on the Heat and it's on Fresh Air(Recirculate off), I can smell Raw gas like smell, while it wasn't there before doing the HG.

What could be a reason for that? Also, if exhaust is cracked what other symptoms it will show?

Old 12-14-2013, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

The "gas" smell has me worried. I would do a close inspection under the hood.....injectors, fuel line connections.....to be sure there isn't a small leak.

When the exhaust manifold on my 95 EX cracked, when cold I could hear it "puffing". Once it warmed up a bit it became harder to hear.

Check for a crack, check for a small fuel leak......then if that checks out, time to pull the vc and check the valve lash.

Old 12-15-2013, 07:39 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
The "gas" smell has me worried. I would do a close inspection under the hood.....injectors, fuel line connections.....to be sure there isn't a small leak.

When the exhaust manifold on my 95 EX cracked, when cold I could hear it "puffing". Once it warmed up a bit it became harder to hear.

Check for a crack, check for a small fuel leak......then if that checks out, time to pull the vc and check the valve lash.
Thank you PM.

I am going to check and see for any kind of small fuel leak, what are usually problematic spots? I am pretty sure, there is no leak in fuel injectors area.

When you say 'Puffing' it's more like a little 'Bang/Thud/Misfire' because I have had that kind of issue in the past, because of exhaust leak. Is that what you mean?

Thank you for your help

Old 12-15-2013, 08:44 AM
Super Moderator

Noises are "fun" on the internet....my "puff" could be the same as your "thud".

The fuel injectors would be my "guess". A small leak at the top where the fuel rail sits or in the "body" of the injector -right below where the electrical connector is.

If it is a gas leak - you have a smell - it must be small as your MPG is not being greatly impacted. I had an issue on the 89 LXi just like this. No impact to MPG but every now and then would get a smell of gas. Turned out to be #1 injector leaking/weeping from the body of the injector. It would get slightly wet - had to use a paper towel to see it - but in hindsight I should have known it was that one because of the "dirt" that built up on the body of it.

For the noise, check the manifold - takes all of five minutes. If that is not it, well get the feeler gauge out and have a bit of fun

Old 12-15-2013, 12:35 PM
Super Moderator

I would go back in and readjust the valves, since that is when the noise appeared. What size feeler gauge did you use? How off were the valves in the first place?

Old 12-16-2013, 04:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Agreed about noises

I am going to tighten up those bolts on fuel rail, also going to hammer the injector with a light rubber mallet.

I didn't have to touch the Intake sides, mostly I adjusted exhaust ones, but I am also leaning towards valves. I used straight ones, don't have angled ones

BTW, loose valves aren't that dangerous, as tight ones, correct?

Last edited by faran; 12-16-2013 at 04:03 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Slightly loose is better than tight.

You may have misunderstood my question. What was the gap used on you feeler gauge to adjust the valves?

Old 12-17-2013, 05:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Tightening bolts on fuel rail is unlikely to fix an oring seal on fuel injector/fuel rail connection. Seals don't depend on compresssion to seal, but interference betweeen oring and FI body/Fuel Rail. New oring is necessary. Fuel leak can be difficult to spot if it's small as fuel will evaporate almost instantly on warm engine. You have to feel w/ hand for cool spot where fuel is evaporating.

good luck

Quick Reply: 1994 Honda Accord EX (F22B1)-Should I be worried about Loud Engine Noise?