General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Honda Accord EX - Need Help Replacing Rotors!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Default 1994 Honda Accord EX - Need Help Replacing Rotors!!!

1994 Honda Accord EX.

Trying to remove the rotors but the hub unit thingy (circled in green) in front of it won't come off. Is there some special way to get it off or do I just beat on it with a mallet?

Old 10-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Well these are the most fun to get off.

A few ways of doing this. From where you are at:

1) slide hammer to PULL the hub out of the bearing. Risk-damage to the hub bearing.
2) remove the four bolts from the inside of the hub and then remove the whole assy. then using proper tools, sep the hub/bearing/rotor.

Do you have a manual? Suggest looking in the Common DIY Threads for a link to one.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:55 PM

I saw the four bolts on the inside, but I can't even fit a friggin' wrench in there to take them off. This just got 100x harder than my knowledge of cars.

Old 10-09-2011, 01:02 PM
Super Moderator

See if this helps....
honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1281812

There is also something in the Common DIY Threads about a lug swap that will help.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:09 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check youtube ericthecarguy "How to Replace Honda Captive Rotors".

good luck

Old 10-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default i think i did this correctly

i had to replace a warped rotor
to get 'ole thumpy out
I had a CCVC long ago and far away.
that i replaced a rotor on and it all came back to
me using a 5ft cheater pipe and my dad chanting
go go go in the back round. So now I think
did i do mine correctly? i used a cheater to loosen the hub nut
and a hub/gear puller to pull the hub to get the rotor off.

but i think i split a bearing... I saw all the ball bearings, they
were in a perfect circle... but was i supposed to see the acutal *****
or just an outer casing... I replaced the rotor and put everything back to gether, and i figured if it starts grinding i never seized it so it can come off again easily.
thnkas

Old 10-19-2011, 05:59 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You pulled the bearing apart, which is used by some to perform this repair. I tried this procedure once, but did not use again. I was afraid of capturing dirt/grit in the bearing.

good luck

Old 10-19-2011, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Funkenstein
I saw the four bolts on the inside, but I can't even fit a friggin' wrench in there to take them off. This just got 100x harder than my knowledge of cars.
Use a ratchet and since you cant get any leverage what I did was put a hydraulic jack under the ratchet handle and applied pressure with it. Unfortunately I snapped one bolt, but a replacement was $1 at Ace.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:35 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default do i have to press the old bearing out of the hub?

do i have to press the bearing out of the hub? its been a few days, so far so good. But now i remember with my old CVCC I had to replace the bearing soon after the rotor replace... tlhanks

Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by maroonwhitepinstripe
do i have to press the bearing out of the hub? its been a few days, so far so good. But now i remember with my old CVCC I had to replace the bearing soon after the rotor replace... tlhanks
No, look for the ericthecarguy video on youtube for replacing the wheel bearing or brake rotors not sure which one it is. Basically you can grind a bit of the bearing seal that is left and hit it with a chisel and it will fracture. Its easy I dont have any air tools and just used a grinding wheel in my drill and it probably took 20 minutes. The hub is forged so you dont have to worry about whacking it.

You can technically put the bearing back together many do, I didnt like the idea and my wheel bearing had 180k miles on them so I figured I would just replace them they are around $50.

Quick Reply: 1994 Honda Accord EX - Need Help Replacing Rotors!!!