General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Honda Accord EX - Tail Light Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Default 1994 Honda Accord EX - Tail Light Malfunction

I recently have purchased a used 94' Honda Accord EX. For some reason the tail lights doesnt seems to work. The front lights work, the blinkers works (front and back), and the reverse light also works. I brought it to the auto repair shop today and the guy took a look and said he wasnt sure what it is. He states "You have nothing here" I dont understand what that means... HELP PLEASE.

These tail lights has been replaced and is NOT the stock tail lights. I dont think its the fuse because the other lights work in the back. Not sure if its the wiring? Or maybe it's the light bulb, which I highly doubt.

- This is URGENT! I got pulled over twice for not having any tail lights on while driving at night already. I drive alot. Any help/ input will be welcomed. Thank you.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

do you dash lights work?
do your brake lights work?

I had the same problem - I fixed it the easy way.
I ran a wire from the fusebox that was on with the key.
I ran that wire to the trunk - I found the common wire - If you look at the taillights you will see the same color wire going to each one - I cut that wire and spliced it to the wire I ran from the fuse box.
So now whenever the car is on the taillights are on.
works for me.
If you need me to tell you what color the wire is I can do that later.

Old 04-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

When you turn on your parking lights, does any of the parking lights up front, tail lights in the back, or license plate lights turn on?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by crispin
do you dash lights work?
do your brake lights work?

I had the same problem - I fixed it the easy way.
I ran a wire from the fusebox that was on with the key.
I ran that wire to the trunk - I found the common wire - If you look at the taillights you will see the same color wire going to each one - I cut that wire and spliced it to the wire I ran from the fuse box.
So now whenever the car is on the taillights are on.
works for me.
If you need me to tell you what color the wire is I can do that later.
dash lights: YES
brakes: YES

so whats the first step to this process? Im new at fixing cars...All I see is a black and red wire.

Originally Posted by PAhonda
When you turn on your parking lights, does any of the parking lights up front, tail lights in the back, or license plate lights turn on?

what do u mean by parking lights? tail lights dont light up...dont have license plate lights installed in my car.

Old 04-19-2011, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Your headlight switch has three settings. Off, then the next click when your turn is parking lights, then the last click is for the headlights.

When you turn to parking lights, the tail lights and the front lights outside of your headlights should turn on.

What kind of lights are installed on the back of your car? Can you take some pictures from the outside and the inside?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:37 AM

Ok if you have no experience fixing cars then you need to find someone who does.

LISTEN TO ME - DRIVING AT NIGHT WITHOUT TAILLIGHTS IS NOT JUST ILLEGAL IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!! The fact you have already been pulled over twice is horrible. Do you not care about an innocent family with small children plowing into the rear of your car? What is wrong with you? DO NOT DRIVE THAT CAR AT NIGHT UNTIL THIS PROBLEM IS FIXED!!!!!!!

If you do not know what parking lights are and do not understand that every car made in the last 75 years or so has license plate lights then you have no chance of fixing this problem yourself.

Take the car to a mechanic and have him run a wire from a switched positive to the red wire with a black stripe under the access panel on the drivers side taillight. That will power up your taillights whenever the car is on. That will not light up your licence plate lights but any half retarded mechanic can figure out how to jump those from the same wire.

AGAIN PLEASE FOR THE SAFETY OF INNOCENT PEOPLE EVERYWHERE - DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR AT NIGHT UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS FIXED. PEOPLES LIVES ARE NOT A JOKE>

Old 04-25-2011, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by crispin
Ok if you have no experience fixing cars then you need to find someone who does.

LISTEN TO ME - DRIVING AT NIGHT WITHOUT TAILLIGHTS IS NOT JUST ILLEGAL IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!! The fact you have already been pulled over twice is horrible. Do you not care about an innocent family with small children plowing into the rear of your car? What is wrong with you? DO NOT DRIVE THAT CAR AT NIGHT UNTIL THIS PROBLEM IS FIXED!!!!!!!

If you do not know what parking lights are and do not understand that every car made in the last 75 years or so has license plate lights then you have no chance of fixing this problem yourself.

Take the car to a mechanic and have him run a wire from a switched positive to the red wire with a black stripe under the access panel on the drivers side taillight. That will power up your taillights whenever the car is on. That will not light up your licence plate lights but any half retarded mechanic can figure out how to jump those from the same wire.

AGAIN PLEASE FOR THE SAFETY OF INNOCENT PEOPLE EVERYWHERE - DO NOT DRIVE THIS CAR AT NIGHT UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS FIXED. PEOPLES LIVES ARE NOT A JOKE>
I totally understand. Health Safety and Welfare. I only drive this in the morning now. I'm just trying to make sure I dont get ripped off by a mechanic. I was wondering how much it would be to fix the wiring. I already went to a few shops and they charging me $50 just for an estimate/ inspection. I was wondering what the price range would be?

That's the car. Not sure how well you can see the tail lights. I'll take a better pic. if you want.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Administrator

Get it fixed Pronto..You'll spend more time in Jail with tickets than what it's worth..You need some one with wireing knowledge..You may have just a groundind wire problem with this car..

Old 04-25-2011, 10:13 AM

I explained a very simple way of repairing your problem.
Run a wire from your fusebox in the drivers footwell to the trunk.
cut the red wire with a black stripe you can find that wire behind the taillight bulb access panel on the drivers side.
Connect the wire you ran to that red/black wire
presto - working taillights.

Cost = very little.