General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1994 honda accord reads high pressure on low side

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Look on page 6 of the 61-361 Test-Pro Multimeter instructions (pdf, 530k, Rev 5). EDIT: That pdf is on the link you provided on your last post.

That shows you were the diode setting is located on the meter. The meter should beep (closed circuit) when you touch the red and black probe together. The meter should not beep when the leads are not touching.

Just touch the red lead on the meter to the blu/red wire. The black lead on the meter can touch any bare metal bolt. Let us know if the meter beeps or not.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Multi Meter results we get Beep

I hooked the black to battery ground and red to red / blue and I get the beep.

What is this telling us?

Also I re did the jump of blu /yellow Blue red and wanted to check if ac came on and it did not. The fans come on in position II and stay on when car is started but no ac commpressor kick in.

This jumper should make both run as stated above?

Also do not forget the back thermostate seems bad with jump test. I am sure all same ground issue/

Last edited by johnno0213; 06-19-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

If you have 12V on the other two wires, then the a/c thermostat is bad.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Originally Posted by PAhonda
TH - the ground path is not through the ECU on this part of the circuit. It grounds through the a/c switch, then the fan speed switch.

Does your volt meter have an open/closed setting? It would read open when your leads do not touch each other and closed when you touch the leads together? Just post your make and model volt meter on here and we can help you find the right setting.
The ground path for the compressor relay drive coil circuit is through the ECM. ECM gets a closed/open signal from Thermostat completing ground path that it uses to know when to drive the compressor relay coil.

good luck

Old 06-19-2012, 11:11 PM
Super Moderator

TH, I see what you are talking about.

I am going off of the test that the blu/yel wire going to the thermostat had no ground. Then the blu/red wire had ground.

Johnno0213 - Redo the test on the blu/yel wire on the pressure switch using the diode (beep) test. Make sure the thermostat is plugged in and the a/c switch inside of the car is turned on.

TH - What always confuses me on the wiring diagrams is the ECU B5 pin. Does the thermostat just have an open/closed signal for the ECU at that pin where the ECU would read either 12 or 0V?

Last edited by PAhonda; 06-20-2012 at 03:39 PM.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:08 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default New test to be performed

I will run through the test again and post findings.

I am getting more confidence with the meter and test light.

I will also study the wire diagram.

Could it be the controls on the dash?

Old 06-20-2012, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

It is not the dash controls, because you had ground when you tested the ground side at the thermostat.

In the shop manual, there is a diagnostic tree for when the compressor and the fans do not work. It is kind of the tests we suggested. Since you are more confident with the volt meter, you should be able to move through it quickly.

Old 06-20-2012, 06:16 PM

"TH - What always confuses me on the wiring diagrams is the ECU B5 pin. Does the thermostat just have an open/closed signal for the ECU at that pin where the ECU would read either 12 or 0V?"

When thermostat closes, the B5 pin will see ground and when open will see 12V. ECU somehow uses this to trigger AC compressor relay. There is no detailed wiring diagram of the circuit board.

good luck

Old 06-21-2012, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

During idle, the ECU has to "know" when the AC compressor clutch is switched on. That's for idle-control, so it can open the IACV a fraction of a second before switching the AC.

I SUSPECT that it's also done that way so the ECU can prevent the AC from switching on, in case of wide-open throttle, or also if the coolant temperature is too high.

Old 06-21-2012, 07:04 PM

Agree w/ Jim. There's no "map" of all the times ECM uses the thermostat open/close signals to control compressor.

However the primary reason is to prevent freezing of the evaporator. There is no other path to disable the compressor other than through the ECM control of AC compressor relay.

good luck

Quick Reply: 1994 honda accord reads high pressure on low side