General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1995 Accord Help

Old 06-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Unhappy 1995 Accord Help

Hey guys I am not a normal member of this forum. I am a avid Clubcivic.com user and I am looking for some Accord help. I have a buddy with a 95 Accord 4 dr SOHC Vtec Auto. We recently had some issues with emissions, at the time we had just had put a new Intake on it with all proper fittings and attachments so no leaks, brand new cat back exhaust. We put new Spark Plugs (NGK) new Wires (BWD), Cap/Rotor (BWD), Ran a can of BG 44k, Oil Change as usual Synthetic, car ran good but something was off and Emissions was just out of wack. High Nox and High CO. So I checked the injectors, all good... Fuel Pressure seemed good, so after some in depth research I found that the cat was bad, so had an exhaust shop weld on a High Flow Cat and then after that the Emissions passed with FLYING colors, I mean it ran like a new car.. But this time the Gas cap failed to pass, so we replaced that, and it then passed perfect. The car ran like a top, with no issues at all.

This weekend the car started to run like cr** it idles fine, but when shifting from 2-3 3-4 (again it is an auto) it putters and doesn't want to move, you either have to let completly off the gas or romp on it for it to go and not sputter. It is only when say on the highway running (example) 50mph steady, it just is spitting and sputtering, but you floor it, its fine, you let off, its fine. Also since this sunday it was an almost full tank and now is already down to a half tank and he only drives about 15 miles to work then 15 back so 30 miles a day. 60 miles in that car does not use half a tank so the gas mileage is junk....

Just a little about me, i am pretty good with Honda's and love them to death. If you need me to answer more questions let me know, I am not a mechanic and I am not a know it all, but I do know my stuff for the most part just not as familiar with this car as I am with mine. So all the help is appreciated!

Any suggestions?????

EDIT: NO CEL

Last edited by UCCRacing; 06-22-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:52 PM

Wow no one?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by UCCRacing
Wow no one?
Well, I read it, but don't have any ideas. Welcome BTW...

You already did the new tune-up stuff (sparkplugs etc) and there's no CEL.

Check spark timing - look to see if it's fluctuating. (Flaky timing sensors inside distributor?)

Look for oil in the intake duct coming from the crankcase breather. Clogged PCV can push extra oil over there.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:01 PM

Thanks man for the welcome!

I will check those things. I mean anything at this point could be it. All the obvious stuff has been replaced.

Old 06-22-2010, 08:03 PM

Timing was also done when trying to figure things out before the Cat was replaced....

Old 06-22-2010, 08:32 PM
Super Moderator

Check the fuel pressure?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:34 PM

Haven't be able to as of yet due to work... But it's only at certain points, idles fine, runs great until cruising at upper speeds....

Old 06-22-2010, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

I was just thinking that you need more fuel at higher rpm. The pressure regulator could compensate for a weak pump at lower rpm, but not at high rpms?

Old 06-22-2010, 08:38 PM

Good thought, I was wondering that earlier because puttering is usually an early sign of a pump going out....

Old 06-22-2010, 08:39 PM

Anyone know what the pressure should be on that thing?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1995 Accord Help