General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 Honda Accord 2.7L Head Gasket test

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 03:23 PM
Default 1995 Honda Accord 2.7L Head Gasket test

car is blowing some white smoke again. what is the best way to test so see if it is the head gasket. will take it to my main mechanic who just did the timing belt to do the test and potential repair. any other tests recommended?

my coolant level is perfect. can see the coolant when taking the cap off.

thanks!

bt

Last edited by btartus; 09-24-2023 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-24-2023, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

White smoke from the exhaust is water. The source can either be coolant from a cylinder head/head gasket leak or water vapor condensing from burning gasoline.

Leakdown test is probably the next step. Alternatively, you can pressure up the radiator and look into each cylinder to see if you have coolant entering the cylinder.

Old 09-24-2023, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
White smoke from the exhaust is water. The source can either be coolant from a cylinder head/head gasket leak or water vapor condensing from burning gasoline.

Leakdown test is probably the next step. Alternatively, you can pressure up the radiator and look into each cylinder to see if you have coolant entering the cylinder.
thank you!! I will be talking to the mechanic about it in the next day or 2 and will mention exactly what you say. My neighbor, and old school car guy thinks its my valve seals. he was curious to know if the seals can be replaced without opening the head.

Old 09-24-2023, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

We already covered this in a different thread, if your car is blowing white smoke, there is no way said smoke is due to worn valve seals; anybody who suggests otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. As I mentioned in the other thread, and as @PAhonda mentioned above, have a leakdown test performed; if you do any work on the engine before a proper diagnosis, it will be roughly akin to throwing mud on the wall hoping something sticks. Said another way, throwing money at a problem is the absolute most expensive way of finding and fixing an issue.

Old 09-24-2023, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
We already covered this in a different thread, if your car is blowing white smoke, there is no way said smoke is due to worn valve seals; anybody who suggests otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about. As I mentioned in the other thread, and as @PAhonda mentioned above, have a leakdown test performed; if you do any work on the engine before a proper diagnosis, it will be roughly akin to throwing mud on the wall hoping something sticks. Said another way, throwing money at a problem is the absolute most expensive way of finding and fixing an issue.
I will not do anything without testing. I will have a leakdown test performed for sure. thank you for your advice!

Old 09-24-2023, 08:11 PM

also, trust me when I say, I come to this forum for advice as I know you and PAhonda and other here are Honda experts and trust the information you provide to me and others 100%. I do not take any of the information here with a grain of salt, quite the opposite, so again, thank you very much!

best regards,

bt

Old 09-24-2023, 08:20 PM

my 1995 Honda Accord LX 2.7l. I bought it with 73,000 miles 1 owner for 5k many years ago. the car has never let me down. my favorite car ive owned so far and love driving it. the original color is Pearl green.

Last edited by btartus; 09-24-2023 at 08:27 PM.
Old 10-23-2023, 02:56 PM

ok, so my mechanic says he does not have access to the equipment for a leakdown test. He said the OTC 5609 Cylinder Leakage Tester Kit is what I need. is this correct? is there a test kit or brand that is recommended without breaking the bank?

Old 10-23-2023, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

I would look for a different shop which has the equipment; different shops shouldn't be too difficult to find.

Old 10-23-2023, 04:41 PM

I would look for a different shop which has the equipment; different shops shouldn't be too difficult to find.
I will do that! but is this the correct test kit? OTC 5609 Cylinder Leakage Tester

Quick Reply: 1995 Honda Accord 2.7L Head Gasket test