General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Accord 4 cyl, crank but won't fire...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2010, 04:18 PM

Hey bud,

Thank you so much for the suggestion. Unfortunately, I did put a new ignition switch in just a couple of weeks ago and still no luck..

Weird enough, the car did start right up this morning @ 7 am(when it was still cool out) and it's been running fine all day..

Old 06-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Did you ever replace the spark plugs? You have spark and you added starting fluid that should have started before today unless the plugs are fouled. Even cleaning them off doesn’t always work even on new ones.

Old 06-17-2010, 11:10 PM

Hey man,

Yep, brand new NGK's. The car ran perfect all day today..so freaking weird

Old 06-18-2010, 12:32 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Sorry about asking about the spark plugs. I read the whole post after asking. I had a strange problem like this on another brand car and it turned out that the battery had enough power to crank the motor but not enough for the ignition to work every time. It just needed the battery changed. It may be a waste of time but you never know.

How did the troubleshooting go back to fuel when you verified it was a no spark problem?

Old 06-18-2010, 01:47 AM

No particular reason. I was just trying to eliminate anything and everything possible..

Old 06-19-2010, 12:01 PM

Got a chance to test the fuel pressure this morning. I figured out how to get that gauge to work.

The instructions help..LOL.

There was no way to test the fuel pressure while it was regulated as you have to remove the fuel line off of the rail itself and insert the fitting into the "hose" end itself.

So, when I turned the key on, checked for leaks and it had about 60 psi of fuel pressure with no regulator..?

Could it be putting out too much or could the filter or something be bad?

Thank you,

Donnie

Old 06-19-2010, 01:06 PM
Super Moderator

Regulator is on the return line, so you dead-headed the pump. Not necessarily very good for the pump, but you probably only ran it for a few seconds. (??)

Need to figure out how to hook up the gauge while also having the FPR and return line in place. Otherwise you haven't proven that the FPR is working properly.

Old 06-19-2010, 01:46 PM

Jim,

Thank you so much for the quick reply..

Do you have any idea how to check fuel pressure w/o a honda dealer while it is regulated?

And yes, I only ran it like that for maybe 20 seconds total on time.

Would it be worth my while to just swap the regulator out or should the pump be putting out 60 psi(ish) un-regulated?

Thank you,

Donnie

Old 06-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

When the outlet of a pump is completely blocked (no flow) it's normal for the pressure to go up. Never done that to a Honda fuel pump, so I don't know about the 60-ish psi.

It's basically going to be an excercise in finding hose fittings that allow you to hook up the gauge without disconnecting the return line. Sorry I don't know more specific than that. I think the ideal thing would be a banjo bolt for the top of the filter that's extra long so you can piggyback the gauge (with a banjo hose) on top of the existing supply hose.

Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks man, I'll see what I can come up with

Donnie

Quick Reply: 1996 Accord 4 cyl, crank but won't fire...any ideas?