General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 Accord 4 cyl, crank but won't fire...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2010, 02:47 PM

All the wires appear to be fine...no corrosion and the connectors are all good...

Last edited by PAhonda; 05-13-2010 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:06 PM
Super Moderator

If the timing light is firing, then it appears your spark is good (making this even more confusing).

Try new spark plugs? I don't like throwing parts at it, but I once had a non-start condition because of flooding with fuel. Got that fixed, dried out the cylinders, & it would NOT start. Firing tips of the sparkplugs looked real nice too, so I was too stubborn to "waste" plugs that looked real good. Eventually I threw up my hands & installed brand-new plugs. It started right up.

I figured they had gone too long trying to fire when very wet with fuel. Now the plugs were fouled in a strange way that left them looking visually real nice. My best guess is the plugs found a way to short-circuit the spark internally which doesn't ignite the fuel.

Old 05-04-2010, 03:23 PM

Jim,

Dang man...I just replaced those plugs too with the NGK's that you guys recommended. Just to be safe...still no luck though...

It's weird too because it started 5 or 6 times all throughout the day yesterday.. it seems to have a tough time when it's cold outside?? This morning I tried 10 times, disconnecting and re-connecting the coil/dist..jiggling the wires...

No luck..

Old 05-04-2010, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator

Just for yuks, pull the vacuum hose off the fuel-pressure regulator. The little vacuum hose to the intake manifold isn't supposed to have any fuel in it, only air. If fuel is in there, the FPR is ruptured & giving you way too much fuel. It's one more thing you can rule out as the reason for not starting.

Old 05-04-2010, 04:23 PM

Jim,

Will do! I'll try and sneak out of work today for a bit, run home and see if there's any fuel in there..it'll probably start up now lol.

I'll be able to figure out which hose that is right? Is it a little one or a big one like the PCV hose?

Old 05-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Unhappy

Of course...I run home at lunch and it fires right up 5 times in a row. Ran it for 5 minutes, came back out, shut it off and fired right back up...wtf!!! lol

I did pull off that little vacuum hose that runs from right by the fuel rail into the intake manifold..it was dry as a whistle.

The ONLY common denominator is the car does not start in the morning when it's cooler outside...?? it starts all afternoon just fine or so it seems...

If you got any more ideas, please throw them at me..

Thank you again,

Donnie

Old 05-04-2010, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Spark leaking to ground from degrading plug wires or distributor cap?? Check like this...

Complete darkness - this works best at about 4am 'cause the engine's completely cold & maybe even damp. Open the hood, start the engine, & look under the hood. Look for any arcing around the sparkplug wires or distributor cap. Anything even a dull blue glow indicates your spark is leaking out to ground (instead of going to the spark plug). Replace whatever's glowing.

The arc can happen through a microscopic crack in the rubber insulation. Or sometimes it tracks through dust & dirt on the surface of the distributor cap. Once that happens cleaning doesn't always help because the arc has etched its path into the smooth surface of the cap.

Last edited by JimBlake; 05-04-2010 at 09:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 09:16 PM
Thumbs up

Jim,

Thanks so much. I'll do it tonight, I may just go ahead and buy new wires just to be safe and eliminate that possibility.

Thank you again and I'll report back,

Donnie

Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

Well, still check them. Honda factory wires are expensive but they seem to last forever. I'd really think about those or maybe NGK wires before any-old-brand from the parts store. 14 years is a respectable life...

Old 05-05-2010, 12:17 PM

Jim,

I went out last night and checked under the hood. There wasn't any arcing that I could see anywhere...??

The car fired up and ran too, even at midnight last night. Then this morning at 7 am when I have to go to work, of course it won't start.

I'm going to go ahead and get new wires, I'll look for the NGK's. I'll buy another rotor and go ahead and get the new ignitor??

Do you guys know of any parts house that carries the brand of ignitor that we're supposed to get? I read in the write-up that you should only get one brand...(it's a three letter acronym).

I can't imagine it being the coil because it fires up sometimes and runs great. If the other stuff that I listed above doesn't fix it, I guess I'll try another ignition switch.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions,

Donnie

Last edited by PAhonda; 05-13-2010 at 05:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 1996 Accord 4 cyl, crank but won't fire...any ideas?