General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 accord idle problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 04:57 PM
Default 1996 accord idle problem

Hey guys im new here and need some help with my 96 accord. Its the 4 cylinder without vtec if it makes a difference. But basically it has 190k and has had an idling issue for months now and its finally really pissed me off. It idles up and down all the time anywhere from like 600rpm to about 1300 rpm, and if i dont press the gas it will accelerate on its own, i have to press the brake a lot when im doing about 25mph because it just keeps accelerating, Ive read around that i might need to tighten some bolt in the idle control valva or egr? Im not sure, if someone could point me in the right direction id appreciate it or if there's another post, thanks!

Old 01-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Search here & in the DIY section for "FITV". That's the fast-idle thermo valve.

It's bolted underneath the throttlebody & has a couple coolant hoses. Dont remember the details but you open the flange at one end & tighten the plunger inside??

Then search for instructions on setting the "BASE" idle which should include forcing the ECU to re-learn the idle.

Old 01-23-2011, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator
Old 01-24-2011, 12:00 AM

Thanks Jim, thats exactly what I was looking for, I will try that soon, thanks!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:45 PM

So i cleaned up the IACV and i thought I had fixed the problem but as I was driving to school another problem came up, the car started to heat up and saw that steam was coming out of the engine, one of the hoses was clogged, and happends to be the one attached to the FITV(I think thats what its called) So since its snowing here in VA i decided to go ahead and get started on it, I took out the FITV and Ive attached some pictures, i know i have to replace the hose and the housing, but do i have to replace the whole FITV? the spring inside that im suppose to tighten looks farily dirty, I did not see any instructions as if Im suppose to clean that or not? Any help and guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails 1996 accord idle problem-img_8307.jpg   1996 accord idle problem-img_8308.jpg   1996 accord idle problem-img_8309.jpg   1996 accord idle problem-img_8310.jpg   1996 accord idle problem-img_8311.jpg  

Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM

this is a picture of what the hose looked like

Attached Thumbnails 1996 accord idle problem-img_8312.jpg  
Old 01-26-2011, 04:08 PM

PS. I just finished doing Number 9 on Part I, screwing the spring back on so its snug, should I just go buy the housing for the broken part, and is it safe the clean the inside of that spring thing because mine looks black as oppose to it looking yellow, if so can i clean it with maf cleaner?

Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

One suggestion would be to pick up a used FITV at a junkyard and use that in your car. It looks like you need one from a 94-97 automatic transmission (the manual transmission has a different part number).

I don't think Honda sells only the housing. You would have to buy the whole unit and will run $118. The discount OEM places sell them for $100+shipping.

It depends on what you want to spend.

You can unscrew the whole valve/spring assembly to remove it from the housing. Clean the assembly and the inside bore with throttle body cleaner. I think MAF cleaner is the same?

You will have to use the junkyard housing obviously. You can use your clean valve assembly or clean the one from the junkyard and give it a shot.

Old 01-28-2011, 01:16 PM

Hey PAHonda, can you tell me the site where they sell them for $118, I went to the honda dealership and they were running like $180, I am trying to get it as cheap as possible, is this a common part that people part out on the forum? I tried looking for one on ebay but no luck, thanks again

Old 01-28-2011, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

hondapartsnow.com

Enter your car's info. The part is under engine, throttle body. Part #14.

I misread the price. Retail price (Dealer) was $148. Discount was $108.

There are other sites out there like majestic honda. Some dealerships have online stores that give a discount.

Search accord idle valve on ebay. There are some FITV and IACs listed.

A junkyard will be your quickest and maybe cheapest option. A U-Pull-It yard would even be better.

Quick Reply: 1996 accord idle problem