General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Accord LX Transmission Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 06:43 PM
Default 1996 Accord LX Transmission Problem

Hello and thank you for this forum.

I have a 1996 Accord LX 4cylinder 2.2 that has a minor transmission problem.
The car skips 2nd gear and 3rd gear and goes to 4th when I take off.

I changed both soleniods A and B but it will not shift from low gear to 2nd or 3rd, it immediatly jumps into the highest gear from 1rst gear.

1rst gear is strong but when it changes it goes to the highest.

And also sometimes it gears down to 1rst gear when I stop and sometimes I have to shift it manually into 1 to take off but it still skips 2nd and 3rd and goes to D4(4th gear). When I shift manually 1,2,D3,D4, I only get 1rst and D4.

AutoZone pulled the code because of the Blinking D4 and it said I needed a Shift Solenoid A. When I replace both Solenoids the codes would not clear.

I checked the cable linkage on the front off the transmission that is connected to the throttle assembly but it has no play.

I bought the car used without the cylinder heads on it and I bought a low mileage engine and had it installed.

I was thinking about draining 3Qts of the Fluid and adding 3Qts of the Honda ATF with new filter. This car is very clean inside and out. I plan to keep it for a long time, Please help thanks

Tandem2 in Mississippi

Old 04-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

I would go back to autozone and get the actual code and post it on here. It will start with the letter P and have 4 numbers, like P1234. We can give you the proper tests to determine the problem.

Old 04-22-2010, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

... because sometimes it's caused by a bad component, other times it's caused by a wiring problem in the car.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i agree with Jim,,,,,,,wiring could be the issue,, get the code and post it here

Old 04-22-2010, 01:22 PM

Ok thanks again guys! I went back to AutoZone and they gave me two codes
P0758
P0748

Something about a circuit problem??

Old 04-22-2010, 01:39 PM

P0748 Problem in A/T Clutch Pressure Control Solenoid Valve A Circuit
P0758 Problem in Shift Solenoid Valve B Circuit

Old 04-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

Codes point to the solenoids you replaced, but before replacing them you should have checked for proper voltage coming from the car's wiring.

Since you already replaced them & still have a problem, then I guess the original problem wasn't faulty solenoids but rather a wiring problem in the car. Got a multi-meter?

Old 04-23-2010, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Try this; warm up the car/ then disconnect the battery negative cable for 30 seconds or more; then put the battery lead back on/ go for a test drive and see if the trans shifts correctly the first time thru the gears; but then acts stupid again after coming to a stop and starting off again.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:03 PM

I do have a multi-meter, I would to like to find out why there isn't any current going to the soleniods. What tests do I run to see why there isn't any current going to the solenoids.

how much voltage should be moving through to the solnoids? Where should I begin my search for current? From the Transmission ECU? but at what point?

Tandem in Mississippi

Old 04-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

A wiring drawing would show how the circuit is arranged. If I had to guess the solenoid should have power (battery voltage) on one wire all the time. The ECU probably switches the ground side of the circuit.

If you don't hve (+) voltage?
- broken wire?
- blown fuse?
- loose plug somewhere else in the wiring harness?

In the DIY area there's a sticky thread about on-line manuals. Find one for your year (or close) & something should be there. I don't have automatic trannys, so I'm a bit out of my area.

Quick Reply: 1996 Accord LX Transmission Problem