General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Honda Accord door locks

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 10:12 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1996 Honda Accord door locks

Hi,

My 1996 Honda Accord has the automatic door locks. However, when you lock the driver's or passenger's door (which locks all doors) it makes a loud, whirring sound for about a second or two. Very annoying but the locks work fine and have been working like this for over a year...

I had one person basically listen to it who said it could cost several hundred dollars to find the problem.

I am not a mechanic but would appreciate if somebody knows what is causing this problem, how much it would be to repair or if it is something I could do myself (I'm OK handy but by no means great).

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Trolddk

Old 03-24-2006, 10:34 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 1996 Honda Accord door locks

yea you probably need to put in a new door lock motor. its not very hard at all. you would probably have a few cuts and some frazzled nerves by the time your done though

Old 03-27-2006, 05:44 PM

I had the same problem with my 96 Accord EXL 4 door sedan, come to find out each of the doors. Has its own door lock motor and it has to be replaced, the dealer charged me about $250.00. The parts and and labor are warrantied for a year, you can go to a junk yard and pull your own, but can't gtd. how long it will work.

I do hope this helps you out some.

Old 03-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the information - it definitely helps. I was afraid that it would be around $250. I guess I will live with the grinding noise until they complete give in.

Thanks

Old 03-28-2006, 04:14 PM

Here's just further confirmation on what you've had happen... it's a common issue.... maybe you could call Honda America and see if they have a recall or will repair it for free... Doesn't always work but if it does it saves you cash....

Below is a list of common problem areas with this generation of Accord (usually those with high mileage)
Most are minor and do not need immediate repair.

1.) Plastic radiator may crack. Keep tabs on your coolant levels. Replace with a full metal unit.

2.) Power door locks may become inoperable and emit a 'buzz' when activated. Replace door lock actuator.

3.) ABS sensor may fail and activate ABS light. This is an expensive repair, so know that this will in no way affect your normal braking performance. You'll only lose your ABS feature. DX and LXs do not have ABS.

http://www.epinions.com/content_140525014660

Rough estimate Price Quote: $96.00 from this site...

http://www.prostreetonline.com/oem/w...+Lock+Actuator

Old 04-19-2006, 01:26 AM

As for the ABS American Honda won't replace mine the part alone is $1600.00 Yes that is corret no typo there.

Old 04-19-2006, 01:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you need a driver's side door lock actuator,, no need to replace the whole assembly..actuator is attached to the door latch assembly by 3 screws . you can just replace the actuator by removing the door panel raise the window up and remove the lower window guide ,, a word of warning,, it is a bit of a pain in the butt..

Old 06-22-2006, 12:29 PM

Have same problem..pass door locks wont unlock unless you use key. Has alarm (Aftermarket) & power locks. Guess I will purchase actuator. How do you remove door panels? (96 EX model..nice panels) don't want to mess them up. They look like thin leather. TIA

Old 06-22-2006, 06:33 PM

in reply to the plastic radiator that honda uses, I prefer to go back with the plastic aftermarket over the all metal, have had experiences with the metal radiators not bleeding out completely and tend to run a little hotter. I have replaced many radiators when I was a parts manager at a honda/acura/lexus service center for a major dealer in Atlanta. Mechanics hated the all metal ones.

Old 03-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Default ABS light

Michael,

I had the same problem with my 1996 Accord EX Wagon. When I called Honda 5 years ago they quoted me $1,500 which I balked at. The service underwriter whispered for me to check the ABS fluid level (not the master). I brought to my local foreign care repair and they verified that the part (resevoir) alone was $900. When they checked my ABS level it was empty. They refilled it and told me to keep my eye on the level and make sure if it leaked to hose off the fluid from the fender well as it would take the paint off. That was over 5 years ago and the ABS brake fluid level has never dropped.

Cheers,
edeloca
Originally Posted by MichaelEXL
As for the ABS American Honda won't replace mine the part alone is $1600.00 Yes that is corret no typo there.

Quick Reply: 1996 Honda Accord door locks