General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 LX V6 ac problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Default 1996 LX V6 ac problems

OK all new parts.

compressor
pressure switch
dyer
expansion valve
evaporator

had the system vacuumed and recharged all readings were normal and everything was running like its supposed to. but its still taking almost 30 mins to cool and even then its not cool enough to ride with the windows up.

any suggests or tips?

Old 06-21-2011, 04:17 PM

this was brought to my attention when i was reading other posts...

looking at the heater core inlets, you will see an open/close valve on the "in" hose, that connects to the temp control next to the fan controls, check which way it travels when you turn it to the hot position, then turn it all the way to cold go under the hood and see if it will travel any further, if it does make sure the valve is closed and then adjust the cable accordingly, this will keep the heater core from blowing warm air.

Old 06-21-2011, 08:19 PM
Super Moderator

^x2, blend door adjustment can give you bad ac performance, there are actually two cables that you need to check/adjust, check the the common DIY thread a link to the manual. Also this gen is known for breaking the ****, be sure, pull it and make sure it is really going all the way to cool.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
^x2, blend door adjustment can give you bad ac performance, there are actually two cables that you need to check/adjust, check the the common DIY thread a link to the manual. Also this gen is known for breaking the ****, be sure, pull it and make sure it is really going all the way to cool.
it already has a new ****, control valve is going all the way. I've checked all the cables that alldata shows all seem to be working properly.

Old 06-21-2011, 09:20 PM
Super Moderator

Was it taking 30 minutes to cool when you first had it charged? Have you tested the pressures since you first had it recharged?

Why did you replace all of those parts?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:27 AM

IDK the car was already running and cool when we picked it up.

compressor locked up, so changed it with the dyer and exp valve, had the evap out might as well put a new one back in.

also I know the AC works better when its cool outside, but it was still around 80 when I went to work last night and it was so cold I had to turn it off, same this morning. so why wont it work when its hot, it did before it locked up last summer...

Old 06-22-2011, 02:33 PM

OK, today on the way home everything stopped working no blower motor, compressor and lights on HVAC panel are out, cant find any bad fuses under hood, is there somewhere else to check.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator

under the drivers dash there is a fuse box

Old 06-22-2011, 09:09 PM

Thanks found it, fuse was blown. AC still not working right when its hot outside.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:09 PM

OK update,

96 accord 2.7 V6

Ok I bought gauges and a vacuum pump redid the whole thing, vacuum for almost 2 hours, held vacuum almost right at -29.

87 deg 58% humidity

car off

car on low side open high side closed

car on low and high both open

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 1024x768 and weights 171KB.

still takes for ever to get cool but it is cooling better know.
what else could be wrong, and if the engine rpms drop below a 1k the compressor will rapidly cycle on/off

Quick Reply: 1996 LX V6 ac problems