General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1996 LX V6 ac problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 12:10 AM

Thanks for the info the blower does work all 4 speeds, hell the condenser fan kicked on for a few mins today also.

Old 08-17-2011, 05:33 PM

OK, I found out I was testing continuity to ground wrong. so the pressure switch, a/c thermostat and harness test are all getting ground. now what?

Old 08-17-2011, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

It sounds like your condenser fan motor is worn out and needs replaced.

This is getting confusing, because grounding the red/white wire on the pressure switch turned on the a/c system.

Can you tell me how you were using the meter to test for ground early on and how you are testing for ground now?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:03 PM

The probe wasn't going all the way into the wire connector, so wrap a paper clip aroun the probe so it would slide all the way in. Also does it matter which probe you use to test ground? If I use red to wire black to ground nothing, black to wire red to ground it beeps.

So why would my fan shut down for no reason, was working fine before just not getting cold like it should.

An way does everything work if I ground that red wire on the pressur switch?

Old 08-17-2011, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Which fan are you talking about, the radiator or the a/c compressor fan? Both fans should turn on when the a/c is turned on.

Did grounding the red/wht wire on the pressure switch turn on the a/c system?

Redo the continuity test on the pins of actual pressure switch.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:42 PM

I did 12v on the red/white and ground beep on the other. Yes if I unplug the ac pressure switch sick a jumper in the red/white pin and touch it to the cars frame, with it running the compressor and ac cooling fan will come on, rad fan is shot.

Old 08-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator

There is something wrong with the ground part of the circuit by your test.

I would hate to have you start throwing parts at the system.

Since I am not so familiar with what is going on with your volt meter, you might want to pick up a digital volt meter from somewhere like walmart. The volt meter should have a diode tester which is an open/closed tester. I put a picture of the symbol you want below:

Old 08-18-2011, 12:05 AM

So what's that going to help do.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:18 AM
Super Moderator

I'm trying to find a way for you to properly test the ground side of the circuit, because jumping that red/wht wire to ground shows that the + side of the circuit from the pressure switch is good. You are likely missing the ground.

When you jumped the red/wht wire to the blu/yel wire at the pressure switch, the a/c system did not work. That has to mean that ground is missing on the blu/yel wire.

I was suggesting using a different volt meter, because I don't know why you are getting different readings on your electrical tester depending on what way you touch the leads.

Here is a suggestion on using your volt meter. Use your electrical tester on a wire that you know is connected. I would suggest the negative battery cable. Touch one end of the meter on the negative battery post. Touch the other end on where the wire bolts to either the radiator support or where it bolts to the engine bay fuse box. You want to figure out how to read a closed circuit properly on your meter, or all of these tests I suggested are ambiguous.

Maybe send TexasHonda a PM about this thread as well. He knows a lot about A/C systems.

Old 08-18-2011, 06:40 AM

OK I check ground on my camaro with the meter, beep no matter which way I was holding it.

Also I've been thinking and trying to remember everything I have tried on this car, when the AC was still working I tried jumping the relay pins 1 and 3 like shokey5 says to do to check the rad fan, the fan didn't work as I found out when I hooked it straight to the battery the motor is gone but, thats also the same time everything stop working. Is it possible I jumped the wrong pins and messed something else up?

Quick Reply: 1996 LX V6 ac problems