General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Power Door Lock Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 10:20 AM
Default 1996 Power Door Lock Mystery

1996 Honda Accord EX Wagon

I bought this used car about a month ago and at first the power door locks were working just fine; then shortly after they began cycling on their own. I then noticed when I turn off the aftermarket radio (not installed by me) that the doors would all lock.

Now the power door locks will not work, except when all doors are closed and key is used exteriorly to lock the doors.

I am unable to lock or unlock any doors with either power switch.

I am able to unlock the driver-side and passenger doors via their respective exterior key locks. I am able to unlock all the other doors by physical pulling up that door’s lock. I am not able to unlock the rear hatch via its key lock.

I have checked the fuse in the engine bay.

I don’t know where to start. Is this more likely an electrical or mechanical problem?

Thanks in advance for the help. I'll try to answer questions that you have that could further diagnose the problem.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by millmeg
1996 Honda Accord EX Wagon

Now the power door locks will not work, except when all doors are closed and key is used exteriorly to lock the doors.
Just for confirmation, when you use the key in the driver's door to lock the doors, all unlocked doors (including passenger doors) will lock?

Issue sounds electrical so far.

Old 03-17-2015, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Also, does the car have a security/alarm system?

Old 03-17-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Just for confirmation, when you use the key in the driver's door to lock the doors, all unlocked doors (including passenger doors) will lock?

Issue sounds electrical so far.
Yep, when I lock the car from the driver's door all unlocked doors lock.

Old 03-17-2015, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Also, does the car have a security/alarm system?
I'm unsure about this. How do I find this out?

It did come with a key-less entry remote, that did not work. I replaced the batteries and was able to enter programming mode but not able to set it and get it to work.

Old 03-17-2015, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

1. Look under the driver's seat, do you have the same factory keyless door lock control unit as in the first picture? That is usually on the wagon with the factory keyless controls. That unit control the door locks. If you don't have it under the seat, then the door lock unit is in the driver's door and consider without the keyless locks.

2. If there is an aftermarket or Honda accessory security system, the system is usually plugged into or connected to the wires at shown in the second picture of the optional security connector (those wire are the lock and unlock wires to use for the security system). -- For aftermarket systems, you may see the unit under the dash too.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-door-lock-control-unit.jpg   1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-security-option-connector.jpg  
Old 03-17-2015, 01:49 PM
Super Moderator

If you don't have an add-on security system, the issue may be due to the keyless door lock control unit located under the seat.

Examine, the wires and connectors terminals to that unit. If wires and connectors seems okay, then you may want to remove and open up the control unit to visually examine the circuit board and internal components.

Old 03-21-2015, 10:52 AM

Ok, I was able to take a better look at this today. I have the factory keyless door lock unit under my driver's seat.

I detached the connector and the locks stopped acting up (cycling when no button was pressed, ect...). I can still lock and unlock the two front doors manual with the key, but now the I can't lock the other doors via the driver's side key. It just locks that door now. (Side note, I still am unable to lock/unlock the rear hatch with the key so that may be something different, hmm).

I have included photos of my unit, the connectors, and the board. I don't see anything wrong right off the bat. What should I be checking for?

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-img_5734.jpg   1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-img_5735.jpg   1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-img_5733.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 10:53 AM

Here's more attached photos.

Attached Thumbnails 1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-img_5731.jpg   1996 Power Door Lock Mystery-img_5730.jpg  
Old 03-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Almost A Senior Member

I had a similar issue on my 96. However my issue was the module behind the drivers side door panel. My car does not have the keyless feature but does have a alarm on it, which i hate with a passion. My issue was resolved by replacing the module in the drivers side door. Good luck. If all else seems ok, you could try to locate a used part like yours at a local pick and pull if you have any in your area, if not those cars are plentiful down here and local pick n pull is 15 minutes from here,,would give me a good excuse to get out and about.

Quick Reply: 1996 Power Door Lock Mystery