General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Unusual Sporatic No Start Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 01:37 PM
Default 1996 Unusual Sporatic No Start Issue

In desperate need of help...

I have a 1996 Honda Accord EX w/177,000 miles.

The car will start usually the first try on cold start every day, then as you drive the car lets say to the store or a few stops especially when you go to start it all the lights come on as usual, I can hear the fuel pump prime and then nothing, it doesn't even try to engage the starter. The light dim a little while trying to start but nothing. Then if you wait like 5 or even up to 30 min you can try and start and starts right up with no hesitation or anything. It is the weirdest thing. I have been to 3 shops now and no one can figure it out.

Here is the run down on items I have replaced thus far with no luck.

Alternator yr and half old
New starter, old one ended up checking out good but wasn't about to replace it again
New wires, spark plugs
New distributor cap
Master Relay
Ignition Switch
A shop did a diagnostic and said that the shifter switch was only showing 6 volts and needed 12 so they replaced that didn't help out 300 bucks.

I think I replace the started relay but not totally positive, might be next on the list.

One symptom that I had a long time ago was water coming in on the passenger floor from a backed up drain hose, not sure if something in there got corroded or what is even on that side.

Any help is greatly appreciated, not sure what else to do at this point and very discouraging when three shops can't figure it out either.

In Charlotte, NC if you know of anyone local also.

Tazman282

Old 06-11-2011, 01:50 PM
Super Moderator

Check the battery cables, clean/tight, both ends of both cables.

While the cables are off, have the battery tested.

Old 06-11-2011, 02:25 PM

I replaced all the wires when I replaced the battery about a year ago, the shop inspected all my work and said it all looked good. However the battery I did replace then had a bad cell. I will get it checked out either way and recheck the wires again.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest purchasing a Equus Battery Monitor (walmart, Amazon. etc). These are handy to spot low voltage when starting (battery drain possible). If voltage is much less than 12V when you first try to start something has discharged the battery.

A bad starter is still possible. There have been horror stories of multiple infant mortality of rebuilt auto parts starters.

good luck

Old 06-12-2011, 11:28 AM

I will look into the battery monitor, I had the battery checked and it passed. The problem started months before I replaced the starter and still occurred after, I just wasn't going to put the old one back on even though it checked out good.

In regards to the battery and starting, when it won't start and I try and nothing happens, I can try it 100 times and nothing and then when its ready it just starts normally, it is a matter of just getting the car to start turning over because it starts every time that happens. So there is some sort of issue either with the start logic, the relays, something getting hot that won't allow a start until it cools, etc.

Just trying to brain storm as I have for a year now. Are there any relays or anything associated with starting the car under the passenger seat dash?

Thanks for your input.

Old 06-12-2011, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator

The key switches in this gen do have issues, in fact there is a recall on them. Might call the dealer, give them the VIN and see if the first "free" replacement has been done....even if it has, doesn't mean it is not bad...in the recall they replace it with the same design?????

Old 06-12-2011, 06:40 PM

Ignition switch assy seems likely, but I note you've replaced that earlier. Still could be based on symptoms. If CEL and Alt light come on when keyswitch is turned to On, switch assy is unlikely the problem.

When you turn keyswitch to Start, do you get any sound or complete silence?

good luck

Old 06-13-2011, 12:22 PM

When I replaced the Ignition switch, I only replaced the actual relay or switch on the back of the ignition and not the whole assembly.

When starting the car for a good start or a bad start everything in the sequence is right, all the lights come on, the fuel pump kicks in to prime and the lights even dim a little to start the car. I could do this as many times as I wanted theoretically and it is always the same and then eventually on one of the tries usually about ten min later it starts right up like nothing ever happened. On occasion it won't start on the first try but will on the second without waiting.

One other thought that I have had is that it could be associated with a kill switch for the alarm system. For one when they installed the alarm they placed the override switch in plain sight half way up the left panel, seems like an odd place for Honda to install it as it is a Honda keychain alarm. I am not sure how to override it to check if it is even associated.

Thank you guys again for your help.

Old 06-13-2011, 12:43 PM

You failed to answer my question. When no-start occurs, does the starter make any sound or silence?

If silence, this implies the start signal from the keyswitch is being interrupted; either the alarm, ignition switch assy (mechanical part does not affect starting), or other electrical fault.

good luck

Old 06-14-2011, 12:18 PM

Sorry, no there is absolutely no sound coming from the starter.

Quick Reply: 1996 Unusual Sporatic No Start Issue