General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 77,000 mile maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 05:22 PM
Default 1997 77,000 mile maintenance

Just bought a 1997 Accord Special Edition, Automatic with 77,400 miles on it. First time Accord owner, recently discovered this forum. The car is in phenomenal condition on the outside, obviously parked in a garage, hard to find a scratch on it, interior is almost like new. Engine looks and runs great too, I had it looked at before buying. Just a couple issues.

Timing Belt: The dealer didn't have maintenance records on whether it has been changed before. I know mile wise it's ok, but the original would be well over due time wise. My mechanic was iffy about it, but was gently suggesting it would be a good idea to replace soon if I can't be sure if or when it was changed, which I am leaning towards. Here's the funny part: when I was trying to haggle with the dealer, he claimed these cars don't suffer any damage if a timing belt fails, "they just slip off, not snap." He also said he couldn't believe a mechanic had the audacity to suggest timing belt replacement at 77k miles, "these things last 120k and time doesn't matter!" Just goes to show don't believe a word a car salesman says!

CV boots: My mechanic noticed both front CV boots had a crack going around them. They weren't split open just cracked. Should I get them replaced immediately?

Spark plugs: The one closest to the drivers side had some oil on it, the others little or none. Again, repair ASAP? Mechanic suggested seals, which if I remember wasn't incredibly expensive.

The timing belt "package" I had estimated at $550. Is that in the ballpark? I will call around in my area too.

Thanks!

Old 06-11-2012, 08:34 PM
Super Moderator

If the timing belt fails in anyway-breaks or falls off, never seen that- bad things can happen, so yes. Replace the belts and wp, also check to see if the balance shaft seal retainer has been installed....if not, suggest adding that....PLEASE. Last, $550 is not a bad quote for both belts and wp.

The cv boots, hard to say. If just a crack then you might be fine for a while (conditions play into this). You might find it cheaper to have the whole cv shafts replaced vs just the boots.

Oil on the plugs....could be as simple as the spark plug tube seals are leaking...not sure if the SE has the upper and lower seals or not......you could try just the upper and see if that stops the leak, if not and you have the lower on yours then they will need to be replaced. The valve cover gasket set should come with everything you need, the vc gasket and upper tube seals are an easy DIY job.

Just my 2 cents

Old 06-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Should get the timing belt done soon.

As far as the CV boots go I have a 96 accord they are cracked on the surface but they definitely are not split all the way through allowing dirt in and grease out. They have been cracked for years in this manner I just keep a eye on them.

As far as the plugs go I would suggest cleaning off the plugs and tubes and keeping a eye on them for a couple weeks and see if the tubes are filing up with oil. I believe there are no lower seals on your model so it would be a pretty easy fix if you decide to just have them fixed.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

^^^ I'm with MOEY.

Old 06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by moey
Should get the timing belt done soon.

As far as the CV boots go I have a 96 accord they are cracked on the surface but they definitely are not split all the way through allowing dirt in and grease out. They have been cracked for years in this manner I just keep a eye on them.

As far as the plugs go I would suggest cleaning off the plugs and tubes and keeping a eye on them for a couple weeks and see if the tubes are filing up with oil. I believe there are no lower seals on your model so it would be a pretty easy fix if you decide to just have them fixed.
Originally Posted by UhOh
^^^ I'm with MOEY.
I'm new so take it easy but I have a question. What are the two of you saying that wasn't already said by poorman? Or is this just agreement. Again, sorry try to learn things.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:51 PM

thanks all for the replies. poorman, is the balance shaft seal retainer something that a reputable mechanic would see while changing a timing belt? Or would I have to specifically ask for that to be checked. I ask because I don't know what that part is. And I assume its not easily checked by looking under the hood.

So for the cv boots, if it's possibly cheaper to replace the whole shaft than just the boots, is there any reason to replace the boots before they fail completely?

again thanks you all

Old 06-12-2012, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

The balancer shaft seal retainer is shown in this link:

http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/tsb/accord/x00-073e.pdf

Just fyi, Poorman212 stating wp means water pump. Check to see if the mechanic is including the water pump and oil seals replacement in the price of $550.

You can replace the CV boots before they get contaminated or leaked out and not have to replace the shafts. It can also be cheaper too and many aftermarket shaft are not great quality. However, it is labor intensive to remove the shaft, clean and repack the grease and reinstall; so, many mechanics prefer to just replace the whole shaft (as it is quick and easy). If the mechanic doesn't mind just changing boots if the CV joints are still good, it actually should be somewhat cheaper.

Old 06-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Sounds like you got a nice car, with low miles. I also have a 97 Accord SE, with 182K on it and it is one of the most reliable cars that I have owned. Timing belt should be done every 7 years or 90K miles, so I would do it if it were my vehicle. I paid 600.00 to have the water pump, belt, seals done 4 years ago, so 550.00 is in the ball park.
Also consider changing the cap n rotor (Honda parts), NGK plugs, PCV valve and air filter too. I would just keep an eye on the CV boots.
My 02 cents!

Old 06-12-2012, 08:04 PM

If you are going to do the timing belt, have them replace the spark plug tube seals while they already have the valve cover off. Very little (if any) labor charges.

Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 PM
Almost A Senior Member

You might try to call around to a different dealer, I did and after a couple of a calls I got to the dealer where it was purchased and I got a basic run down of what was done and not done.

Quick Reply: 1997 77,000 mile maintenance