1997 Accord EX OBD1 engine swap ECU / CKF questions - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums

General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Old 07-11-2018, 01:39 AM

Default 1997 Accord EX OBD1 engine swap ECU / CKF questions

Hi, I am helping someone with their 97 Accord EX 5 speed; the original engine died and they installed a replacement F22B1 engine. Unfortunately it appeared the replacement was an OBD1 engine instead of an OBD2 engine. I'm not clear on if any / what all parts may have been changed on the OBD1 engine to OBD2 parts (distributor, maybe?) but the car seems to run and drive perfectly fine. It does however throw a few DTCs for P0301, P0303, P0304, and a pending P1399 - misfires on cylinders 1, 3, 4, and it looks like P1399 is a "random misfire". The car does not seem to be misfiring at all... it runs quite smoothly so it seems like it might be a problem reading a sensor that's causing the errors. I've read people talking about having to swap oil pumps or even easier to do a CKF (crank fluctuation sensor) bypass (.:FFS TechNet : CKF Bypass Trick :.) but the 37820-P0H-L02 ECU in the car does not seem to have wires for a CKF sensor. Pins C1 & C11 are empty on the wiring harness. Do the Accord F22 OBD2 engines have this CKF sensor or is this something on the D/B series on Civics, etc. only?

If they don't have a CKF, is there another sensor that may cause the DTCs listed? It really does seem to run great so it doesn't seem like it's actually having any misfires. Thanks!
Old 07-11-2018, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

The OBD2 F22B1 engine has the crank position sensor on the engine block (and maybe the top dead center sensor). The OBD1 F22B1 had all 3 sensors in the distributor.

Look by the timing belt cover on the firewall side of the engine block near the crankshaft for an engine wire harness that has nothing plugged into it.

Also let us know how many wires are going to the distributor on the current setup as well.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhonda View Post
The OBD2 F22B1 engine has the crank position sensor on the engine block (and maybe the top dead center sensor). The OBD1 F22B1 had all 3 sensors in the distributor.

Look by the timing belt cover on the firewall side of the engine block near the crankshaft for an engine wire harness that has nothing plugged into it.

Also let us know how many wires are going to the distributor on the current setup as well.

My 97 Accord with F22B2 (non-vtec) has both sensors at the crank. I believe the vtec version has 1 in the distributor and 1 at the crank. Either that, or both are in the distributor.