General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 accord starter issues please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 1997 accord starter issues please help!!

ok everyone here we go again my 1997 accord se that i had airbag issue with last week is acting up again air bag problem was fixed but now after driving for 2 days worn start this is what all we have done. ran 12v wire from positive batt terminal to the starter and car starts so we have a good starter i have replaced the main relay i have checked all the fues i can find i have replaced the ign switch i have replaced the netural park safty switch and none of this has changed anything i get in the car turn the switch to start and nothing happens. only diagram i have is the haynes manual any assistance with this problem would help alot thanks

Old 03-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

When replacing the ignition switch & neutral safety switch, did you check continuity through the wiring for those things?

Main relay isn't in the starter control circuit.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yes switch checked good didnt check the netural safty switch it does show which gear the car is in on the dash think it could be a ecu issue is there a starter relay the car started fine a few days then it started a loud clicking when trying to start and i checked and the negitive batt terminal was loose tightened it up and it seemed to be fixed for 2 starts then it quit all together when i do try to start i hear a relay or something engage under the dash but no voltage to the starter wire

Old 03-18-2013, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator

What I meant, was did you check the wiring between switch, starter, etc.

You said that when you ran a wire from battery to starter then it starts, right? I should've asked if you ran that wire to the small terminal on the starter. But I assumed that the starter wasn't getting it's signal. I shouldn't take anything for granted...

So... did you run the 12v wire to the small terminal on the starter?

And... did you test anything? Continuity through each circuit of the ignition switch?

Last post you said no voltage to the starter wire. Which starter wire?

Old 03-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok the wire i hooked the 12v wire to was the small terminal on the starter that wire is getting no voltage at all and per the hanes manual it runs to the netural park switch. i have done some reaserch and i see that this se model has a securty system also but from what i can see it is disabled on the car when i turn the switch i get all the relay clicks. also in the manual it says the black and white wire go direct from the netural park switch to the starter but i dont belive this is true because the wires arent the same gague or color at the netural park switch me and this car have had issues for a few years now i love the car but im about to my limit with it

Old 03-18-2013, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

I haven't owned a 1997, so I can't be too specific about the circuit. Try to get a shop manual - check the "common-DIY" thread where there's something about manuals. You'll want a circuit diagram so you can check it out systematically.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

If you hear a relay clicking, the starter signal fuse may be okay; but, just for giggles, re-check the No. 9 (7.5A) starter signal fuse located in the under dash fuse box.

The starter cut relay is located under the driver's side of the dash.

Last edited by redbull-1; 03-18-2013 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

ok im gonna re check everything in the morning and and i will re post thanks guys

Old 03-18-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

You said you are getting no voltage to the starter. Did you verify this with a volt meter?

If yes, then I would suspect your security system. Follow the blk/wht wire from the ignition switch electrical connector. The wire likely got cut and wired into two part of the security system. You should get 12V on the blk/wht wire before and after the security system.

The clutch pedal switch is another spot that can stop the starter from getting the 12V signal.

You will have to trace the wiring.

Old 03-18-2013, 11:12 PM
Super Moderator

This is an SE automatic, correct? I believe it only came with automatic.

From the starting circuit diagram specific to the 1997 SE with automatic transmission, Blk/Wht wires runs in segments to the starter.

From the ignition switch, a Blk/Wht wire goes to the under-dash fuse box.

From the fuse box, a Wht/Red wire goes to terminal 1 of the starter cut relay and a Blu/Red wire from the fuse box connects the another Blk/Wht wire via a connector and then to the A/T gear position switch/neutral position switch.

From the A/T gear position switch, a Blk/Wht wire connects to a Blk/Grn wire via a connector and then to terminal 2 of the starter cut relay.

A green wire runs from the keyless/security control unit (starter cut relay control) to terminal 4 of the starter cut relay.

Another Blk/Wht wire runs from terminal 3 of the starter cut relay to the starter.

Quick Reply: 1997 accord starter issues please help!!