General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 accord v6 power steering hose high pressure

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 01:10 PM
Default 1997 accord v6 power steering hose high pressure

Hi guys was trying to replace my high pressure ps hose and I got 2 bracket bolts off and the 14mm line wrench end nut.

I was looking for the hidden bracket under the car. Can't find it.

had autozone jack and a Jack stand under car, jack lost pressure, car fell off jack and stand and crushed me under it. It was so slow, I heard and felt my ribs breaking . I was able to call 911 before passing out. Now I'm out of the hospital and have a friend gonna fix the hose. Anyone have a pic of where it is and how to get it off. Thanks

Last edited by TexomaAccord; 10-25-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 10-23-2018, 02:16 PM
Super Moderator

WOW that had to be scary!
I always use jackstands to get under the car. I think I'll always use wheel-chocks also.
I recall someone saying they always take the wheels (if removed from the car) & put them under the car somewhere so it can't drop too far.

Old 10-23-2018, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator

Parts drawing for "PS hoses - Pipes (V6)" shows the high-pressure pipe going directly from the pump to the steering rack.
Then there's a low-pressure pipe running from the rack forwards - looks like maybe along the subframe under the transmission? It's hard to tell the way the parts are shown as an exploded drawing.

For some reason it won't let me post the pictures right now...!

Old 10-23-2018, 03:18 PM

Sunk in mud as I was trying to feel for bolt.

Last edited by TexomaAccord; 10-23-2018 at 03:20 PM.
Old 10-25-2018, 03:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by TexomaAccord

Sunk in mud as I was trying to feel for bolt.
Ouch. I usually put something under the jack and stand IF I'm working outside.
Yup, like Jim said, the line runs from the pump to the steering rack, then out of the rack along the "sub frame" connector to a offset hose. Out of it to the oil cooler (bent loop tubing), from there back to the fluid res jug, then onto the power steering pump.
A tip for you is to replace both lines at the steering rack (on the left side behind the LF tire), and break the tubing off it, so you can use a 17mm socket to remove the fittings. BTDT before, and later had to do the other line/fitting. There's just no room to swing a wrench with any torque to break the fitting loose. Tightening isn't a problem though.
Also, use Honda power steering fluid, not the stuff for all makes at Autozone. Your steering rack seals will like you for that. All clips are plastic, except 1 that holds the pressure line to the frame before the steering rack.
I hope this helps.

Old 10-28-2018, 01:01 PM

All the lines are off except the high pressure bracket the curves behind the sub frame. The 10mm bolt. Can't feel it or see it.

Old 11-09-2018, 09:59 AM

Ok on the back motor mount next to the firewall, where that line runs, there is a canister about the size of a yogurt cup. Has a vacuum line going into it. What is that and should it be flopping around

Old 11-09-2018, 10:04 AM

Evap purge control solenoid valve ... should it be flopping

Old 11-09-2018, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Are you sure its the EVAP system? There's a vacuum-controlled engine mount back there. I think it has a small canister (vacuum reservoir) that's connected to the vacuum of the intake manifold. From that canister a hose goes to a solenoid valve, then from the valve to the engine mount.

I don't think that stuff should be flopping around, it'll be mounted on brackets & such.

Old 11-09-2018, 11:31 AM

After looking I think you are correct... it's broke. Got a part number ?

Quick Reply: 1997 accord v6 power steering hose high pressure