General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Accord Wagon Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:02 PM
Default 1997 Accord Wagon Stalling

Hey guys I'm new to the forum and apologize for the question in case this has already been covered here, but I did a search and could not find anything. I am the 2nd owner of this wagon and bought it back in Germany in 2004. The wagon just turned 180,108 miles today. I did a change of spark plugs and oil today. And just filled the tank after driving the wagon for about 12 miles with the A/C on (don't know if this important or not). Well right after top off the wagon I drove for 1/2 mile and it started stalling CEL came in and I drove 1/2 like that until I arrived home. The only thing I can think about is the new spark plugs or that the gasoline was contaminated. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated guys.

Note All the important stuff has been done to this Wagon as suggested by Honda(water pump, Timing belt and all that stuff where changed @ 148,500 miles)

Old 03-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

The check engine light means the engine computer detected a code.

You have two ways to read the codes.

1. Parts stores have a code reader that plugs into the OBD2 port behind ashtray.

2. Check them the OBD1 way, that you can do yourself. See the thread called how to get CEL codes in the DIY section for directions.

Either way post the code on here to figure out what is going on.

Old 03-19-2011, 10:30 PM

Thanks for your input, I will have to wait until the CEl comes back since I reset it after I got home thinking that was one of the spark plug wires that was kinda not all the way in but the Wagon continues with the whole stalling and going from 700 RPM's to 900 and almost dying

Old 03-19-2011, 10:34 PM
Super Moderator

Was the car running alright before you filled up the gas tank?

Old 03-19-2011, 11:39 PM

Yes everything was ok prior to fueling

Old 03-20-2011, 01:35 AM
Super Moderator

If the a/c compressor somehow is constantly turned on and the a/c button inside the car was turned off, then the car would run poorly.

Its easy and quick to check. Start the car and make sure the a/c is turned off. There is a clutch plate in front of the pulley that should not be spinning with the belt pulley. If that plate is spinning, then you found the problem.

If the a/c clutch is stationary, I would guess that you got bad gas. The poor running right after you filled up is pointing in that direction. There is a drain on the fuel tank. It is #45 and #50. You should replace the crush washer (12mm size).

Last edited by PAhonda; 03-20-2011 at 01:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:57 AM

Thanks a lot I checked the AC and it seems like its the gas. Man that sucks, I will put the old spark plugs just to double check but all the evidence points at the gas.

Old 03-20-2011, 05:28 PM

Here are the codes:
P0303
P1399
I most likely take the car to my friend tomorrow he's been taking care of the Wagon since I live here in AL, on everything is above my skills/abilities. But will like to know your opinion on this guys. I've been driving the car around today a little and it's been randomly stalling and sputtering specially on hills.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:21 PM
Super Moderator

P1399 - Random Misfire
P0303 - Random Misfire (Cyl 3 without a P1399).

List of probable causes for those codes from my shop manual:

Ignition System
Fuel Supply System
MAP Sensor (no map code)
EGR system (clean EGR ports, see DIY Answers Section)
IAC Valve (no IACV code, clean valve anyway, See DIY section)
Contaminated Fuel (starting to seem more likely...)
Lack of Fuel (you filled up the tank).

Draining the tank is expensive right now, but it does sound like this is the problem.

Old 03-20-2011, 07:09 PM

Thank you, this seems to be the damn fuel. I feel like going to strangle the owner of the gas station . But can't let the PTSD kick in . Anyway I appreciate your help a lot, thanks for taking your time to read this and for helping me.

Quick Reply: 1997 Accord Wagon Stalling