General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Honda Accord EXR

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 08:48 PM
kcwebmonkey
Unregistered
Default 1997 Honda Accord EXR

Hi there,

New to the forum, just purchased a 1997 Honda Accord EXR (leather, power everything, moonroof) and have a few questions for the experts out there.

1) i'm showing that the car has a security system (light on dash, horn under hood) but i don't see anywhere to activate/deactivate it

2) this car didn't come with a keyless remote, but maybe the alarm is activated by one? how do i know if it's supposed to have a keyless remote or not?

3) when i open the door, none of the interior lights come on, and i can't find the switch where this might be controlled. anybody know?

thanks in advance for your answers!

Matt

Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: 1997 Honda Accord EXR

I read somewhere on the forum in the last day or so that you can download the owner's manual for your acura from an acura website. This may help w/ your issues.

Regarding the interior light, the overhead light switch must be in the correct (middle I think)position to come on when door opens.

good luck

Old 10-24-2007, 09:45 PM
kcwebmonkey
Unregistered

But I have an Accord, not an Acura.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 PM

https://www.ahm-ownerlink.com/login....d%5Fhome%2Easp

This is what you saw recently.

Other Honda Forums have this info and procedures, do some googling.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:24 PM
kcwebmonkey
Unregistered

I took a look at the site you mentioned, and it states that US Special Edition models come with the remote transmitters. I'm not sure what edition I have, as it says EXR and i'm not sure what that means.

Also, regarding the interior lights, i have the roof lamp set to the middle position, yet the lights still don't come on. could this maybe be a fuse issue?

thanks.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:26 AM

Your signature block does not say which engine you have. The fuse is in the UnderHood fuse block, Interior Light, 7.5A, Fuse #37.

The lighting system ties into the keyless entry and the anti theft also. These wires use the same fuse but may only deal with the lighting section. Each door has a light switch normally visible with a rubber boot around it but yours may be in the door latch itself???

Old 10-25-2007, 08:15 AM
kcwebmonkey
Unregistered

I have the 4 cyl VTEC engine.

The light switch is on the door frame with a rubber boot around it... i'll have to check the fuse you mentioned.

thanks for the info.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
kcwebmonkey
Unregistered

ok, apparently the interior lights work because they come on when i open any door other than the drivers door.

so, it looks like the problem is with the switch on the door frame itself. anybody know if this is something i could replace or if it needs to go to a dealership?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

EXR is not a USA model. I bet you're in Canada?? I've heard that the Canada EXR is the same as the USA EX. Maybe someone can confirm that.

Almost every car company makes their cars a little different for each country they sell to. Local laws, market preferences, stuff like that. Canada & USA are unusual in that the cars are almost the same. Still, it's the accessories, alarms, lights, & stuff like that will be different.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:38 PM
kcwebmonkey
Unregistered

Actually I am in Kansas City, but according to the Carfax report the car started out in Canada.

I was able to fix the problem with the door switch. I was going to take it off and swap it out with the one from the passenger side when i noticed it wasn't even connected. Just hooked it up and Voila!

I love it when I can fix things w/o reaching for my wallet.

Quick Reply: 1997 Honda Accord EXR