General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

1997 Honda Accord EXR Tail lights & other rear lights out !

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Default 1997 Honda Accord EXR Tail lights & other rear lights out !

My tail lights, rear side marker lights, and license plate light all quit on me at the same time. Originally the dash lights and glove box light quit at the same time. I replaced two separate fuses and everything worked. Now all the rear lights quit again and all the fuses are fine. The headlights, brake lights, and signal/hazard lights are all fine. I have read a lot of the other posts on here and another forum talking about similar issues but haven't found a solution.
I have the Chilton manual that shows the electrical diagram, and it appears all the rear lights are on the same circuit. I have read about some problems with a Multiplex that could cause this? Does anyone know? Also, I believe the only electric box on the 94-97 accord is the fuse box under the hood, correct me if I am wrong. I see that there is also a dimmer relay, and a lighting relay. I took them out and they appear fine, but don't know how to tell the difference.
Can't afford to go to the mechanic, and the problem seems like the circuit is behaving erratically? Any help would be great. I can't drive after dark! Thanks,

Last edited by Will.bartlett; 02-04-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 02:42 PM

The dash lights and glove box light are now working again, just no rear lights.

Old 02-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

There is another fuse box under the driver's dash.

Your first post is a bit confusing, so will you clear a few things up. Which lights now are not working on the rear of the car? Also tell us which ones are working.

Old 02-04-2010, 05:51 PM

Thank you so much for the reply. NONE of the running lights on the rear end will come on. (tail lights, side marker lights, or license plate light) The lightup ring around the cigarette lighter is also out, i was told this may be on that same circuit as well? Everything else is unaffected and working normally.

I replaced all the fuses related to lights just in case. I just found the second fuse box by the driver's left foot, they are all fine.
The front amber running lights do work, as do the brake lights, headlights and signal/hazard lights. The dash lights ARE working along with the glove box light.

Is it correct that the affected lights are all running one one circuit? They appear to be in my Chilton Manual. Also, could this be caused by the 'Lighting Relay' plastic piece in the fuse box under the hood? I feel like I have done everything and am running out of ideas! Thanks again, Will.

Last edited by Will.bartlett; 02-04-2010 at 06:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:59 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like the #32 fuse in the under hood fuse box protects that circuit. Its is a 15 amp fuse that is for the dash lights, parking lights.

If you download the 94 shop manual from spooner link I posted the online manuals thread in the DIY section, you can see labeling of the fuse box on page 23-32.

If you have a volt meter, you can determine if you problem is on the voltage side or on the ground. Just unplug any bulb that is not working. Turn on the light. Use a volt meter and touch the red meter lead to the red/blk wire in the socket and the black meter lead to ground bolt that is grounded. See if you have 12V.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:16 PM

Thanks again, I'll try that first thing in the morning! Hopefully the problem presents itself...

Old 02-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Default * New Development

New Development** When I flick the headlight switch and turn the high beams on, the dash lights and glove box light go out. The amber front corner running lights also go out. They all stay out as long as the brights are on. As soon as I flick it back to low beam, the dash light and glove box light come back on. Either way, all of the rear running lights are still not working any time.
I picked up a volt meter as instructed and have been trying to test the affected rear lights but nothing to report yet.
Thanks again for any help, I don't know if this new information means anything to anyone.

Last edited by Will.bartlett; 02-07-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Grab up your handy dandy meter and your Electrical Schematic.
You can find the connector under dash that goes to the headlight switch, and check inputs/outputs thru the switch.
Or you can drop off the steering column shroud [3 screws underneath] and check the wires right off the back of the switch.
FWIW; it is possible to remove and CAREFULLY open up that switch assy to clean the contacts and retension the spring behind the slider.
The above mentioned downloadable Manual should also have a continuity chart for the switch.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:25 PM

Great, thanks so much. I am going to check this today. What does the connector that goes to the headlight switch look like?

-Will.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Will.bartlett
Great, thanks so much. I am going to check this today. What does the connector that goes to the headlight switch look like?
-Will.
Should look a lot like this; It's behind the knee bolster panel

Attached Thumbnails 1997 Honda Accord EXR Tail lights & other rear lights out !-97acchdlghtswconn.jpg  

Quick Reply: 1997 Honda Accord EXR Tail lights & other rear lights out !